Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Trouble with web host and index page

quantumsolutions
Trust:

Trouble with web host and index page

I'm sorry guys.

I got my hostgator acct. I got my domain name at godaddy. my DNS is changed over fine BUT...

I just get an index page when I type in my domain name http://www.thehealingpraxis.com

I created the site with frontpage. i have read through all of the forum topics on uploading so i named the homepage index as an html file and re-uploaded. Hostgator's cpanel says that it is successfully uploaded but I just get an index page (even if I click the link that I am supposed to use until my DNS changes over) either way, i get the same index page. Then i tried looking at
    http://www.thehealingpraxis.com/index
and that doesn't work.

I uploaded the pictures as well as I read about that also on one of the forum topics. the font is Georgia so hopefully I won't encounter font problems when I do finally get uploaded.

I was really rolling along getting so much accomplished and then I hit this brick wall of uploading. it has been about 5 days and I have tried different angles and a little patience (in case it takes a while to upload) but now I'm hoping for a little guidance.

If it's a quick and obvious mistake i'm making please let me know, otherwise I can bug the support at hostgator.

Thanks in advance, susan
quantumsolutions
Trust:
Oh my gosh, it's up!! i guess it was the re-naming of the home page to just index and a touch of patience.

Okay, next question. Are subdomains like the little tag names at the end of your main domain? For instance, I will have
    http://www.thehealingpraxis.com/goji

Do I just upload a page called "goji" and it will automatically connect to my main page (not link but become a part of my website that can be linked to?)

thanks.
quantumsolutions
Trust:
Okay, i have just answered my last question by trying it out. yes, subdomain is just the little tag on and if you upload that with whatever name (all lowercaps and smooshed together without spaces) then that page pops up when typed into address line tagged onto main domain after the / and with a .htm at the end. i only say this in case someone else has the same (stupid?) question.

It turns out that what I was doing wrong in the initial upload was that when I went to the cpanel I clicked on the word public.html and not the little folder icon. I needed to click on the little folder icon to open the folder first. then upload the pages. hostgator moved it for me in about 1 minute after I sent an email telling them I had troubles.

Okay, so far thumbs up for Hostgator and i am ready to roll again.

Hope this helps anyone else having same trouble.

By the way, my website is just a rough and I have lots of work to do so don't judge just yet. No doubt, I'll be asking for more advice in the near future.

Thanks for just being there.

Peace, Susan
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I'm pleased you're answering your own questions here :) You might want to get an external program like Filezilla to do your uploading. It's quite a bit faster than using the cPanel navigation, and you won't encounter problems like you've described (hopefully).

To create sub-directories on your site like this:

example.com/subdirectory/

You need to create a FOLDER. Its just like creating a folder on your computer to put things in. Then you can put another index.html inside that folder, and your page should work if you type the above address into your address bar.

The way you're doing it, you'll always need to type the following in:

example.com/subdirectory.html

It just looks better to do it the other way. I can't remember off the top of my head how to create directories in cPanel, but I imagine there will be a little link on the right side of the page (where you also click to upload stuff).

Good luck!
Mark
Last edited by ampie g on 28 Jan 10 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unlinked URL as not actual links but used as illustration only

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

quantumsolutions
Trust:
Hey, thanks. I'll check out the filezilla and making folders to keep it all organized seems more logical.

Peace, Susan