Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Trouble uploading from Xsitepro

conners88
Trust:

Trouble uploading from Xsitepro

Hi guys,

this is my first post on the forum since i have been hard at work trying to create my site. I have now successfully created my first site.

I am now moving onto my second site, but i have made an error when inserting ftp directory, i left it blank and uploaded (wondered why it wasnt showing), i have since corrected the ftp directory to public_html, but it still will not show up. Is there anything i can do to reslove this problem?

Cheers
Conners
Follow My 20 Micro Niche Sites per month challenge http://www.connersroad2success.com/

conners88
Trust:
to add to this , i have been messing with xsitepro for the last 3hours, and have found that it is actually editing my 1st site? why would this be? i am directing it to a different one (with the same hosting).
Follow My 20 Micro Niche Sites per month challenge http://www.connersroad2success.com/

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Conners,
Hmmmmm, there are quite a few things here that could be messing things up.
Let's take it one step at a time.
If we do it all at once you may get confused..depending on your tech skills.

My fellow mods, feel free to step in....

I am assuming that you have opened a new site in Xsitepro which is in a totally separate folder than your first site.

1. Have you created a new FTP account in your Cpanel or hosting account back office?

These should be different to your first site.
EG:
first site-
Domain name = www. dogs.com
Home directory I leave blank.
FTP server = ftp.dogs.com
FTP directory I leave blank
FTP username = dogs@(Your main domain when first signing up to your host)
Password = xxxxxxxxxx
----------------------------
Second site-
Domain name = www. cats.com
Home directory I leave blank.
FTP server = ftp.cats.com
FTP directory I leave blank
FTP username = cats@(Your main domain when first signing up to your host)
Password = yyyyyyyyyy

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

conners88
Trust:
yes this is how i have set them up, but in my first site in the FTP directory i inserted Public_html (as per video instructions)

However for my second website, i forgot to do this and i just left it blank,

with regards to the cpanel logon, is it correct that they should both be the same (for both websites?)

wollowra
Trust:
Hi,
If you are talking about the login in the publishing details of xsitepro then...
No they need to be different.
You need to go into your cpanel and create a new FTP account.
You then tell Xsitepro to use this log in Username and password.

Does that make sense?

Troy

-- Robert Brault

conners88
Trust:
yes it does make sense, i will try that when i get in from work, not sure how to yet but i will have a look around,

Because when i login to www. mydomain .com/cpanel i use the same login details for both. So like you said i need to figure out how to change it.

conners88
Trust:
ok i gave it a go, but it wont give me a new username and password, i just have to use the same one :-s, i am friends with my hosting provider and he fiddled with the files and it showed straight up, but it just wont let me upload correctly.

and because i know very little about website building i dont know how/where to move my files.

conners88
Trust:
right, I have sorted it.

Basically i changed the ftp directory to public_html/domain

It seemed that in my first site i just uploaded to public_html so i was unable to upload to this file with out editing my original site because it was going to the same directory.

thanks for your help.

wollowra
Trust:
Yep, you needed to change the FTP as I suggested.
I am not sure if you are using the built in FTP in xsitepro or another uploader like filezilla... but you can not upload a different site to the same directory. It needs to have a new directory each time.

Glad you got it sorted.. Good on you for sticking with it. It gets easier as you go along.
I can honestly say that I learned how to do things the right way by first doing things wrong about 5 times first...lol.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

conners88
Trust:
Yes,

I totally agree, its like in anything...you learn more from your mistakes.

One thing i wondered (not important its answered because i am happy its working).....

On my second site i still have the same login to Cpanel as my first site, so does it make any difference?

wollowra
Trust:
Thats fine.
Cpanel holds all your sites on your hosting account.
It's just when you try to upload different sites using the same directory etc...
In other words,, you can't put site A in A directory and then try to put site B in A directory... just won't work.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
newbie1
Trust:
Hi, I am new here and I am new to website building. I want to ask about the publishing details for xsite pro 2. I have 2 websites, each in a separate project. I have successfully published the first site, but I don't know what the publishing details are suppose to be for the second site. What do I put in the home directory, ftp server and ftp directory. Do I have to create another ftp account for every website in order to keep them separate? Thanks

newbie1
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Newbie,
Some web hosting accounts are different.
If you are using hostgator then...
1. You need to create a new add on domain in your hosting account.
2. You create a new FTP account

3. For the xsite publishing details...
-Domain name
-home directory I just leave blank

- ftp server is ftp.domainname.com
ftp directory I leave blank

FTP Username is [email protected]
(your primary domain is your main hosting domain when first signing up)
FTP password is the password you used when creating the new FTP account.

Hope that helps.
Troy

P.S there are tutorials on the hosting site within Cpanel

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
mikeg1
Trust:
conners88, you answered my problem by changing public_html to public_html/domain. it instantly posted my website. thanks,
Mike

This topic was started on Jul 14, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.