Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

The New Google Algorithm

PremiumMember
ranger73
Trust:

The New Google Algorithm

I just read an article on sitereference.com about google's new upcoming launch of "Google Caffeine".
"Google is about to inject a new ranking factor into the algorithm – site speed."
Another quote from the site:
What this means is that Google will be pushing faster sites higher in the search results, whereas slower sites will find it harder to rank."

Will Affilorama be addressing this issue for us? I'm only on week 2 of the Blueprint course, so I'm not sure if site speed is addressed. If it is not addressed, please design a tutorial for us so that we won't be left behind. Thanks.

Charles
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Jan 10 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: improve title

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Charles,
I can not speak for Mark but The sites that we build from the Blueprint are fine.
If they load within 3 to 5 seconds then that is fine.
I think Google is more concerned with the sites that have so many tracking codes and redirects that it takes 12 seconds or more to load a site.
You know the ones, where you click on a link and you see all the tracking codes flashing by in the status bar at bottom left of your screen then after about 15 seconds you finally get to see the page.

Google have only just started to roll out Caffeine to its data centers and at a slow pace, so it will be a couple of months yet before it is fully propagated through the net.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
ranger73
Trust:
Thanks for your speedy reply. I feel relieved knowing I have one less thing to worry about until I can get proficient at this. By the way, so far I think Affilorma is great.

Charles
wollowra
Trust:
Welcome to Affilorama Charles.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
ranger73
Trust:
Thanks Troy
rosilyn
Trust:
The good news is that Google has realised that many on the internet are still on dial up connections and definitely adding the Speed Factor to the Page Ranking will benefit them. On the other hand I was just wondering that if this is to hapen, then what about those glossy sites with all the flash and images?
Well, whatever it is going to be, I have installed the speed checking tools recommended by google after going though this post - 1. Firebug and 2. Page Speed. These are the ad-ons that I found for my Firefox browser.
These tools allow users to view the stats about the page load time and also help in generating files which are supposed to reduce the loading time.

------------
Rosilyn
parfums

This topic was started on Nov 28, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.