Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Sub Domains

PremiumMember
growler
Trust:

Sub Domains

Hi,
Within the hosting plan at Affilorama there is 15 domains plus 10 sub domains per domain.

I was of the understanding that sub domains were a bit irrelevant from an SEO perspective.

What would you suggest to be a good use of the sub domain.

Is it true that the subdomains should remain on topic to the Main domain.

I am thinking that the domain might be based around becoming an authority site, lets say for example "Dog Training", and that the sub domains would target the long tail keywords with in the general market of dog training, for example "learning how to train your german shepherd", "learning how to train your Labrador", "dog training tips for beginners" etc.

Many thanks,
Steve
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
depends. i have a network of sites set up on subdomains. you can get a lot of use out of them for different purposes
for example, i have 10 domains, on each one i have an syndication domain. all my syndicated articles for all my sites go on these subdomains, and get bookmarked, and links from a few directories to rank for low search keywords. i dont worry much about traffic directly to the subdomains, although they do get some. they do count as backlinks to my site.

of course, i dont have affilorama hosting either. i have hostgator reseller account and all my domains are on uniqu ip adressses.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

PremiumMember
growler
Trust:
Thanks James,
I have a reseller account at hostgator as well, I was just wondering how to best use the space that comes with this membership.

You comments are appreciated.

Cheers
steve
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Growler,
You might find this post interesting.
website-building/domains-and-subdomains-t5872.html?hilit=subdomain

There is some conflicting information about subdomains so read the forums and Google and make your own assumptions.
see..
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/subd ... -seo/6849/
and
http://www.techwyse.com/blog/search-eng ... o-benefit/

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
The most common way I see subdomains being used effectively is when they are "extensions" of the site. For example, you might have the main pages for your site in the main domain, but have your blog on a subdomain. In this instance, I would strive for a consistent look and feel to the site, though each could have their differences in desings. For example, a bank might have the main page for visitors to their site to find information, but use a subdomain for people who want to check account information. (I know mine does.) And that might be a situation where you have similarity of design. Or maybe you have the site for visitors and another subdomain for employees. (Where I work uses this one.)

Another example might be using related topics. For example, if you are doing something that is related or has significant overlap. I wouldn't do something like "make money online" on a subdomain where the main domain is about "Learn to play guitar", but perhaps a subdomain on "Learning to sing" might fit in.

The most important thing is to test for yourself. That's a theme you'll hear pretty often here. Just because I haven't gotten something to work in my situation doesn't meant that you can't get it to work in yours. Some things are so effective they work across the board and other things you just have to try for yourself.

Even some of the "search engines" use subdomains. Yahoo, for example, has search on their main domain, but if you have a yahoo email acct, you check it on mail. yahoo.com (a subdomain) or perhaps you have a personalized yahoo page at my.yahoo.com (another subdomain). And don't forget the groups at groups.yahoo.com (yet another subdomain). Heck, I just ran a search on groups at google, and the first entry? groups.google.com. So they do rank subdomains. Just scroll the listings of any search term you want, and you'll probably find a subdomain in there somewhere if you look hard enough!

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
i think that is the biggest myth on sub-domains bro.

A lot of people erroneously claim that Google wont rank a sub domain. The fact is, this happens because people don't use a proper site map for their sub-domains so they don't get indexed properly, or they don't seo their sub-domains correctly

as an example of how you can use what Grady said for using sub-domains, one way I use them is to keep a private site. I will set up a sub-domain for my email lists. i tend to do private videos, freebie download pages, and special promotions just for my list, and so I will set up a sub-domain that is set to no index/no follow through my .htaccess file ( which is how google recommends as the best way to block them from your site)
I usually set this up on wordpress with members only access, and have my list members register as a user to get the content, so that it isnt open to random search. This gives that added value of a private members site, and you dont have to try building links, or trying to drive traffic.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started

mindfullseo
Trust:
Thank you JP, for your tip on the sub-domains and using a proper sitemap, u know there is just so many ways to use a sitemap these days its great! and thank you .... I can not see why I had not thought of this before .)
Mindfull SEO

webmaster

http://www.mindfullseo.com/

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
One thng that many people fail to use is a robots.txt file in the root domain. you can create one, and place all your sitemap urls for your subdomains, and the search bots will find them.

bzarzosa
Trust:
JP, I've been reading this thread and I'm very interested in the mechanics of how you use your subdomains for "members only" content.

Since I have used autoresponder software, I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to capture their contact info and direct them to the "members only" subdomain. But how do you create a registration/login page? Is there a WP plugin for this?

Thanks in advance. Barb
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
its built in to wp automatically. Wp can be set to private which means you have to be logged in as a member to see any of the pages unless the owner specifically makes them public. you can set it to allow anyone to register, or manual registration by the admin. I do the manual registration right now to keep it private to my buyers.

for example, i am setting one up now for Jetpack. What I will do is when I check my email for people to claim bonuses, I will register them myself, to keep registration limited to only those i select. i know there is a way some people are automating this registration and capturing emails at the same time on a list, but I havent found out how they do it yet.

What I do instead is send them the private site, and register them manually as I check to make sure they qualify for my bonuses. Then, I email them with the log in details. I have an optional opt in that they can use to get a few additional bonuses by subscribing to my list. this is how I build a list of buyers without owning my own products. one advantage that I tell them they get is that I will be offering new bonuses and posting videos of my own results, and helping them to get there, but they have to sign up to the list to get those bonuses.

Up to now this has never been problem because i am doing a few sales here and there. Jetpack is the first product launch I have done, so I will have to see how crazy it mkes me over the next few weeks

Then i set up ppc style landing pages for downloads, confirmation pages, special pages landing pages and bonus offers for other products within the list, etc...

I am actually doing it the hard way, but at least getting it done while i try to figure out how to do it easier and better. I find that doing something now, and making it better is easier than trying to learn everything before taking any action at all.

look at microsoft. none of their systems work right when they release it. they get it out there, and fix it later.

bzarzosa
Trust:
Thank you Jim for the excellent response!

Ha, ha! I suppose we've all been beta testers for Microsoft eh? (big grin)

I'm going to have to take a look at that WP login feature you mentioned. I knew that you could give others access to your WP blog but I always thought that was for co-authors. Interesting work around you've come up with! I'm sure there is an easier way (isn't there always?) but you are right - just "git er dun" and make it pretty later. (grin)

Thanks again for the reply, Barb.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
you can set your pages and posts to where only members can see them. A lot of people use wP as a private membership site. I am still learning the ropes on it all myself, but so far it seems to be working out.

This topic was started on Jul 15, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.