06 May 09 9:44 pm
There are pros and cons of each which I'll try and outline for you.Pros of old:
1. Its an aged domain which can give you some great value in the eyes of the SE's
2. It may already be indexed in the SE's
3. It can potentially have some backlinks pointing to it already so some of your SEO work is already done.Cons of old:
1. You can only choose names that are for sale.
2. It may possibly be banned or have a penalty from the SE's
3. The backlinks it has could be spammy or negatively impacting the site.Pros of new:
1. You can choose the name of the domain.
2. It won't be banned or penalised in the SE's.
3. You know that there are no spammy links to itCons of new:
1. It won't be indexed
2. It may get 'sandboxed' and take while to get properly indexed.
3. You are starting at the very bottom with no link love from other sites.
Overall, as you can see, there are benefits of both and things to look out for. If you are buying an existing domain I suggest checking over it carefully and doing a full analysis on it to check that it is actually a good investment.