Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Putting Wordpress Pages Into Categories

pockets
Trust:

Putting Wordpress Pages Into Categories

Hey there,

I've decided to go ahead and use wordpress for my affiliate sites because of all the plugins that can be used within it. I have run into a problem though. In the videos it shows us how to create pages etc and when they are published the appear correctly on the homepage etc. What I am wondering is how do you put all these pages into categories when your site expands to have for example 100 pages so that when a person lands on your page all they see are the categories and from there they can dig deeper to all you related articles in each?

What I'm looking for here is a similar setup to Marks dog training website but for wordpress?

Cheers!
PremiumMember
siahsc
Trust:
Hi

Not sure if you have gotten your answer by now. Anyway, just want to share with you what I know about Wordpress.

There is 'category' feature in Wordpress which can automatically help put your posts into the various categories
if you create the categories you want, and tag the posts accordingly. The categories will appear on the sidebar (typically).
But however, you may not get the descriptions that you want. I believe Wordpress will use the titles of the posts.

The other method is to use the 'Text' widget. You can define what you want more flexibly using this and it will appear
on the sidebar accordingly. In the Text widget, you can build any links you want with the anchor texts.

Hope this help. Thanks.

Regards,
Frankie.
pockets
Trust:
Thanks for the reply Frankie,

I skimmed on ahead with the videos and on week 9 there is a video explaining exactly what I'm after. The problem is I spent hours tweaking a premium wordpress theme to look ideal for my affilo blueprint websites and now I'm stuck with either using the affilo theme and not being able to tweak it very much (or add the comments feature to my pages it seems) but it does have that sidebar Silo feature or using the theme I tweaked that does look better but I can't figure out how to Silo my pages into categories!

So I have 2 questions...

Is it possible to allow comments on my pages when using the affilo theme?
And is it possible to add the category sidebar feature of the affilo theme to other wordpress themes? a widget maybe? or perhaps someone could explain how to add the code?

Any help appreciated!
pockets
Trust:
Good news, after some research I got my comments setup with the affilo theme and also added RSS for my pages so I'm good to go!

This topic was started on Nov 21, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.