Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Publishing, Backlinks and Google Site Map

crowzy
Trust:

Publishing, Backlinks and Google Site Map

Hi everyone,

For the last 3 weeks I've been working extremely hard on my first website and it should be ready for publishing sometime next week. Everything is going fine by now but there are a few things (very basic ones - don't laugh please) that I am confused about.

1. When I publish my pages, do I only upload the created pages or should I also separetely upload every single file which was used (photos, Works or Word documents from which I copied my text etc.)

2. I was looking at some relevant sites for potential link exchange and noticed that some of them want you to copy and paste some HTML code into your page if you want your link to appear on their site.

Why is that necessary?

I thought writing down and linking their URL only, or in fact just linking a one word or a photo back to their site will do the job.

Is there a difference?

and

3. Is Google Site Map a good thing to include into your site? Are there any negative sides of it?
Also if your site already has a site map page can you include a Google Site Map as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
crowzy wrote:Hi everyone,

For the last 3 weeks I've been working extremely hard on my first website and it should be ready for publishing sometime next week. Everything is going fine by now but there are a few things (very basic ones - don't laugh please) that I am confused about.

1. When I publish my pages, do I only upload the created pages or should I also separetely upload every single file which was used (photos, Works or Word documents from which I copied my text etc.)

2. I was looking at some relevant sites for potential link exchange and noticed that some of them want you to copy and paste some HTML code into your page if you want your link to appear on their site.

Why is that necessary?

I thought writing down and linking their URL only, or in fact just linking a one word or a photo back to their site will do the job.

Is there a difference?

and

3. Is Google Site Map a good thing to include into your site? Are there any negative sides of it?
Also if your site already has a site map page can you include a Google Site Map as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

1. You only need to upload the created pages and any photos that the page links too. You do not need to upload the Word documents.

2. That is that sites particular rule for linking back to them. If you want them to link back to you, just go with their way.

3. Yes and Yes.

Adrian,
dallasl
Trust:
Hi Crowzy,

When you upload your site, you just need the pages that were created, but also make sure you upload all the images you use as well. Also, make sure that you preserve the directory structure the pages are in as well. So copy all those folders up.

As far as the links go, if I understand your question correctly, they are basically specifying the format their link should appear in; display text, the specific URL etc. And you would want to tell them the same thing for the backlink to your site as well. That way, you have control over what your link looks like on their site, and giving them the code makes it easy on them.

The Google sitemap is built specifically for Google to let them know which pages are important to you, which have dynamic content, etc. In theory, it is supposed to help Google spider your site more efficiently, and help you get changes noticed sooner. Google says there is no downside to having their sitemap present.

Hope that helps.

Dallas
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey crowzy,

1. You need to upload all the html and images and anything else that you have on your page. If you have copied text from a word document, you dont need this, because it has nothing to do with your actual page. I usually keep all my pictures in an images folder, so I just upload that. Does this make sense to you? Maybe someone can explain it better.

2. It's just easier for you. Instead of having to type in their url and description, you can just copy/paste and it's all done for you. It's all about anchor text. You want to have the keywords you want to rank for in your anchor text.

3. Sitemaps can be handy for helping the googlebot spider your whole site.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

crowzy
Trust:
Thank you very much Adrian.

I really appreciate your time and help.

All the best.

PS
I guess the answer on my third question should read Yes, No and Yes instead of Yes and Yes? lol Am I right?
crowzy
Trust:
Thanks Dallas and Sean.

That is exactly what I am confused about. So I do need to upload the image folder separately?

I use a website builder that automatically puts all of the photos I use into its image folder. So I have to upload that folder as well?

And what about html Sean? Doesn't html uploads together with the page?
I am lost on this one.

I will have a huge trouble with technical sides of this business. lol
I can smell it.

Once again thank you very much guys.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
crowzy wrote:Thanks Dallas and Sean.

That is exactly what I am confused about. So I do need to upload the image folder separately?

I use a website builder that automatically puts all of the photos I use into its image folder. So I have to upload that folder as well?

And what about html Sean? Doesn't html uploads together with the page?
I am lost on this one.

I will have a huge trouble with technical sides of this business. lol
I can smell it.

Once again thank you very much guys.

Upload your html page and your images folder.

There aren't really any drawbacks to a google sitemap no.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Don't worry about the technical side, it will come.

I'll try to simplify it for you. You need to upload your html file so there is a webpage right? Well, inside that html file, if you have pictures, the html file will load the picture from wherever the picture is stored. It doesn't actually load the image itself, it just says "put picture from there, right here".

If you keep all your images in a single folder, then all you need to do is upload the html files and then the image folder.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

crowzy
Trust:
I guess my confusion comes from the fact that I am using the Blue Voda website builder which upon publishing automatically adds html extension to the files. In which case I shouldn't be worried about uploading any extra html files.

Or Am I wrong again?

OK no worries guys. I'll try to get an answer from their site.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I have no idea how that works, so it's probably best to ask someone familiar with how it works.

Let us know if you need further help.
www.SixDayWeekend.com