Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Post or Pages??

jabshire
Trust:

Post or Pages??

Okay...I can't seem to find the answer to this question on any training video on this site. When you insert your articles into your wordpress site, do you enter the articles as a post or as pages. I did see Mark on the website building bootcamp video enter the articles as a post but he didn't say why a post as opposed to a page. If I understand this correctly, every time you add another post, it just pushes the previous post down the page and what you end up with is one long page with 20 posts on it. To me this just can't be right. It seems to me I should be inserting the articles as pages. If I enter them as posts and they are all on one page, how could I possibly rank for each individual keyword in the search engines if they area all on one page. I am truly confused at the moment and would really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Jason
Jason Abshire

jcdean
Trust:
I dont think it matters for the overall SEO of the main topic of your site.

Each post will be index by google as a seperat URL same as if it were a page, and have a chance of rankintg well on own.
Respect,
JC Dean

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Jason, that is the way a blog works, each article is on its own page, but it shows a ll of them from the home page. to change the home page settings to a specific article, go to the theme options and select which article you want to be your home page.

The theme is custom coded. only posts will show up in the sidebar. the pages will be hidden, for your ppc pages and other pages that you don't want in the sidebar.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

jcdean
Trust:
James

Are you sure it works like that for all themes? Never saw this untill I downloaded affilo theme??
Respect,
JC Dean

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Youve never seen a blog with all of the posts on the home page? thats wierd because most of them ,mine included are like that. some only show a portion of the post while others show the full post, but it is always there.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

mickyf
Trust:
Hi try using the post teaser wordpress plugin to keep your posts nice and crisp
philbee08
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:Jason, that is the way a blog works, each article is on its own page, but it shows a ll of them from the home page. to change the home page settings to a specific article, go to the theme options and select which article you want to be your home page.

The theme is custom coded. only posts will show up in the sidebar. the pages will be hidden, for your ppc pages and other pages that you don't want in the sidebar.

OK, now I'm really confused.
I started building my site with posts. I couldn't figure out how to get my main page at the top of the sidebar. So I deleted the posts and converted to pages. Now nothing shows up in the sidebar.
I went back and watched "Video 2b: Building a basic website in Wordpress using the AffiloBlueprint theme" which is under "Week 3 - Setting up your website: Domain names, hosting, and building a basic website"

In the video, Aletta says to use "Pages" not "Posts". And in the examples the pages show up in the sidebar.
I cannot figure out how to get my pages to show up in the sidebar like in the video.

HELP!
PremiumMember
ade74
Trust:
Hi philbee08

Pages should be used for terms contact us disclaimers and all other 'house keeping' purposes.

Posts should be used to add your articles... Links to POST pages appear in the side bar nav links.

Links to your posts are displayed in relation to the age of the post...the link to your latest post will be at the top of the pile.

To have the links displayed in a specific order you can either decide on the order you want and then add each post in reverse order OR if you have already added your posts (articles) change the date and or time details for the post.

To do that, open up the post in your WP admin, click edit, and look top right... in the box that is titled 'publish' you'll notice where it says 'published on...' to the right of that line there's a link that say's 'Edit' click that and set as required!

Hope that helps..

Regards

Ade
philbee08
Trust:
Ade,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It does answer the question as to how to change the order of posts.

However, it still doesn't answer the question as to how pages were created in the video by Aletta showing us to use "Pages" not "Posts" and how the pages she created show up in the sidebar.
Phil
sheepfarmer
Trust:
Did you say that you are using the Affilio Blueprint Theme ?
Give somebody a hug>> http://www.cafepress.com/artbyemily1

PremiumMember
ade74
Trust:
Hi Phil

I have my page links shown at the top of the side bar using HTML...

If you don't know HTML and want to let me know; I am running a FREE offer right now...

First of all look here;http://www.yourrelationshipmatters.net and you'll see the links at the top of the side bar, and an image too which was displayed in the same way.

In wp-admin click

Affilotheme >> sidebar

Then scroll to the bottom of the page... You'll see the 'custom script' field. The code you place here will be displayed above your article links in the sidebar. As an experiment add this code;

You can just remove the code after or develop it... like I say, get in-touch if you want to learn HTML... it can be a very useful skill and it's not as hard as you may think it is!

Regards

Ade
philbee08
Trust:
Ade,
I've dabbled with HTML and CSS a little bit, but I would sure like to use it as it applies to sites built with WordPress.

I tried using the code you supplied, however, there is no 'custom script' block on the bottom of my AffiloTheme > sidebar

Phil
PremiumMember
ade74
Trust:
Hey Phil

I think I misunderstood something...

My instruction relates to the 'Affilotheme' and you mention the 'AffiloBlueprint theme' ...

Are these 2 different themes? If so, there's the problem. Maybe you can add custom code for the sidebar else where within you admin area?

Regards

Ade
philbee08
Trust:
Ade,
I'm using the AffiloTheme.
Phil
PremiumMember
ade74
Trust:
Hi Phil

It's your call dude but if you like, create a temp user account for me (with admin privileges) and I'll add your links.... Just tell me which pages you want linked and what text you want to use as link text.

I'm assuming there are just a few pages you want to have links for in your sidebar?

PM the details if that's what you want to do.

Regards

Ade
fabian
Trust:
Hey Guyes

I think the problem is, that the new Theme "AffiloTheme (3.0)" works with posts and not with pages. So the videos teach us to us pages, but just because they used the Affilorama WordPress Theme V1.2 or 1.0.

The version 3.0 just show posts and u can use pages as pps landing page or thank you page or what ever u like to hide for the visitors. U can see also that in the pages area, u can choose different Squeeze Page Options.

Hope I could help out so far.

Fabian

This topic was started on Aug 19, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.