Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

PHPBB or Joomla community to set up a forum?

PremiumMember
haimingj
Trust:

PHPBB or Joomla community to set up a forum?

Hi everyone,

I am thinking to setup a forum. Which software should I use, PHPBB or Joomla? PhpBB seems very easy to setup, but Joomla community seem very hot now.

What is the advantage to use Joomla instead of PhpBB?

Thanks for help!

Haiming
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
If you just want to have a forum, I'd use phpbb. From what I understand, joomla allows you to do lots of other things, but phpbb is fine for forums.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
haimingj
Trust:
Hi Sean,

Thank you for answering my question. What is the more stuff Joomla Community has and phpbb doesn't have?

Cheers!
Haiming
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Joomla is a community portal - users, bios, topics, profiles, etc.... Phpbb is just a forum.
PremiumMember
haimingj
Trust:
thank you Adrian!
chiurunge
Trust:
For just a forum i would go for phpBB - it's simple and effective gets the job done.
Joomla is a Content Management System that can build an entire web site or portal, e-commerce site or content driven sites etc (a website in a box) and a forum is just one component of the many Joomla components. Probably will be using Joomla to develop my next site as it has a high speed-to market and ease of maintainace.
Last edited by chiurunge on 21 Sep 07 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://tinyurl.com/2uw9mv] Maximize your marketing ROI with Yahoo! Sponsored Search. Sign up and get a $25 credit.[/url]

PremiumMember
haimingj
Trust:
Thank you Chiurunge! It is a good explanation.
noproblem
Trust:
I'm going with phpBB - it seems by far the best. In the past I've had problems with invision forums and there has been a lot of unsatisfactory security problems with it according to the press and computing website hostings.
Demo : free forums