Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

One Hosting Account, Separate Blog Sites, Using Sub Domains?

nickmann
Trust:

One Hosting Account, Separate Blog Sites, Using Sub Domains?

I've heard you could set up multiple sites this way, only paying for one account....

Does anyone know how? ...I'm using Host Gator

Thanks
jpastorizo
Trust:
If you have unlimited hosting with hostgator you can set up multiple blogs in either of 2 ways:
1. Under the same domain name you can create subdomains - it's gonna be weird though that you will have multiple blogs by using subdomains under one domain name.
2. Create blogs with their own domain names - this is just like hosting multiple websites in the same hosting account the only difference is you install a blogging platform like wordpress instead of publishing websites.

Which one are you trying to achieve?

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

nickmann
Trust:
Renato,

Thanks for the response.. # 2 - I'll be using Word Press..
I want the domains to appear independent, they will be in separate niches..

I think this is pretty basic stuff, right?

Nick
jpastorizo
Trust:
Hi Nick,

Yep it is pretty basic. You just have to go to your hostgator cpanel and scroll down to see "addon domain". Add your domain for the blog.

Make sure that the DNS (domain name server) of the domain is pointed to the DNS of your hosting account. Once both of these are satisfied then you can login to your server (I use filezilla) and you will see the directory/folder named after your domain that you added.

You can now go to your cpanel again and this time click on "fantastico". Choose wordpress on the left navigation and then it is self explanatory from that point. If you have any difficulty shoot me an email or reply to this post.

Regards,
Renato

nickmann
Trust:
Thanks Renato,

One more thing.. I've heard is that you shouldn't install your index page in the root directory? Have you heard this? ...security reasons?

I don't know if this would cause problems later if I needed to change the location of the site files...

Any other input would be appreciated...

Thanks
jpastorizo
Trust:
Nick,

I dont think it's a security reason.
I think you heard that some where and what they meant was do not install the new wordpress blog or the new website in your root directory cause it will overwrite your website that is published for your main domain that is associated with your hosting account.

For example, your hosting account is for the domain "http://www.mydomain.com". The hosting is unlimited. Therefore you can buy domains only, point them to your hosting DNS and then addon the domain names. Then for you to install the blog or publish a website for each of these new domains you have to do so in their respective directories - these will not be in the index or root folder of your main domain which is "http://www.mydomain.com". If you look in your server files these would be in "http://www.mydomain.com/public_html/newdomainname"

Regards,
Renato
Last edited by sydney on 03 Jun 10 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: samle links

This topic was started on Mar 10, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.