Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Kompozer or Webnode to build a website.

marioelzen
Trust:

Kompozer or Webnode to build a website.

I am as new as can be and still totally lost at times. I am trying to build my first site without having to go through the cost of buying XsitesPro or Dreamweaver. For one thing I don't have the money so that is why I am asking. Came across both Kompozer as well as webnode.com were you can build websites. Has anyone used either one of these sites to build an affiliate website and how well did it do?
Appreciate some feedback.
Still trying to get the first site up and running.
Thanks
hookdeal
Trust:
I'm also looking how to build a website everytime I try I fail and besides that I don't have the money it takes to build a site and everyone wants to much money to help you do it,
hook
marioelzen
Trust:
If you go to Kompozer.com it will be a free program to use and build a website. I am only trying to find out if this program actually will work for the affiliate market. If you go to Webnode.com that is also a website builder and much easier to use as it already has templates available but again is it good enough to use for an affiliate type site. Hopefully I can receive an answer because as you I do not have the money to fork out now and even now more than ever.
jpastorizo
Trust:
Guys,

You may want to try NVU. You can outsource for less than $50 for the homepage template including header (you provide the content). You will be the one to add the additional pages and you do that by copying a page and using an html editor like NVU to edit the content. Update the html on the homepage to be able to show the new page link on the left panel.

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

mortalengine
Trust:
As you are new you really should use wordpress
Its free, google loves it and you can learn the basics
marioelzen
Trust:
Ok with that being said about wordpress once downloaded it is in many zip files. With a normal program you open the exec files and it installs itself. With Wordpress it is slightly different. Any pointers?
marioelzen
Trust:
Ok affil96754 I downloaded Wordpress and extracted all the files. I then followed the 5-minute instructions and opened up wp-config-sample.php. This is where I get lost. Remember I am a newbie and it is asking for MySQL settings, database, username, password, localhost and so forth. Where the heck do I get that information from or did I miss a step somewhere?
I am use to downloading a program and it automatically loads itself and off we go with it and try to learn how to use that particular program. This seems to be much different. Your help on this matter would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
faradina
Trust:
You will find all the WordPress help you need on http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page and http://wordpress.org/support/
:)
drlmatters
Trust:
What About iWeb by Apple is that any good. Is it as good as Wordpress.
" We must have strong minds,ready to accept the facts as they are" Harry S. Truman (1884-1972)

marioelzen
Trust:
Thank You Faradina....seems like alot more to learn than I was anticipating.
marioelzen
Trust:
This seems alot harder than I anticipated. It might be easy for many of you computer genius's but for many newbies I still think the support at Wordpress ASSUMES that we know many of the verbage that is used.
Question: Do I need a website registered already before starting wordpress? (Like at Godaddy.com or Namecheap.com) It does not mention that in the beginners guide.
It seems I need a step by step guide from downloading the program to creating a website. I have looked and do not see that anywhere. If it is there it assumes I know all the other steps in between like..."Open up wp-config-sample.php with a text editor like WordPad or similar and fill in your database connection details." What Database are they talking about?
I downloaded Wordpress then extracted the files and displayed them in my notepad. I then went to wp-config-sample.php and changed it to wp-config.php. I changed the username and password to what my username and password is on Wordpress. Is the database name and the username the same?
Totally confused and very frustrated that I am ready to say the heck with this. It is not as easy as some people think it is.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Marioeizen,

It can be very frustrating trying to figure things out when you don't know what is going on.

Okay. Now, you can get started with a wordpress blog by using wordpress.com (the side that hosts "free" blogs). The only thing to be aware of here is that you are limited by the terms of service which will limit your ability to do certain things. Having a registered domain name that links to a hosted blog frees you up on what can do, as long as you stay within the bounds of the hosting, which generally are more limitations on types of sites you can have (ie not allowing "adult" sites).

The instructions for downloading and installing wordpress from the wordpress.org site is for when you need to install a wordpress blog on a site where you have hosting space. However, before going this route, I would check the hosting tools in the control panel, because the people that provides your hosting just might have a "one click" installation that sets up everything for you with just a few prompts. This is by far the easiest way to install wordpress on a site.

Wordpress is a database driven program, as are most "blogging" software tools that are available, so you would want a hosting site that allows you to have databases, which should be fairly easy to find.

Now, the instructions you were mentioning were for cases where you would have do set up the connection to the database yourself, which you would need only if the hosting site you choose does not have a tool to install wordpress for you.

I hope this helps somewhat. The best way to learn is to keep asking questions!

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

marioelzen
Trust:
Ok I understand that now and started to figure it out but was unsure about it. I now have a hosting company (1and1) with a domain name reflecting some research I did on the topic in which I have an interest as well creating an affiliate site.
Prior to this confusion I managed to create a blog site at www.marioelzen.wordpress.com. Don't ask me how I got there or the 1and1 hosting. I try to stay focused on an answer for my question but end up hopping all over the place and that is how I arrived at the 1and1 site to go ahead and have a host for my idea.
Is it your suggestion that I should now go ahead and install the wordpress through my hosting company (1and1) and from there I will be able to add a blog within my website?
Second thing is wordpress just for blogging or is it also a website building tool like "dreamweaver" or any of the other programs? From answers I have received that is what I understand it does as well as the blogging tool. Is this correct?
Thank You again.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
The first place I would look to install WP on your site, I would definitely check the control panel for your hosting to see if you can add it through there. You would usually find it under "Apps" or "Add-Ons" or something similar to this. The one on my hosting just asked for a couple of questions, like what did I want to name things, username, and passwords to set up the database and the like, but everything else was taken care of behind the scenes. If you have this as an option, it is by far the easiest way.

If you use the "Pages" feature of WP, you can create a website, using the theme of your WP blog. The biggest difference between using WP to build your pages vs. Dreamweaver or similar program is that all you are worrying about is content, since the design has already been done. For many, this makes it easier for them to make pages faster and easier, if you're doing it all yourself.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

This topic was started on Aug 26, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.