Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Is my site design bad?

jayliu645
Trust:

Is my site design bad?

Hello everyone,

I am new to affiliate marking and have just built a new site vuess.com and i put my life experiences/tips on it. The site got some ads and affiliate links as well.

The site is about 10 days old and has about 200 visitors in total but no of them leave any comments (so i turn off the commenting function) and i did not get any sales from CJ( i got about 640 clicks but no sales).

Personally i feel the my site is not focus but i really do love each topic, i also want to add a trading topic but feel it does not fit with the website theme.

How can i make my site looks better and more attractive (my target visitors are female). I try to promote the site via google adwords but seems not very effective (no sales with affiliate links).

If i want to promote my site on Facebook, shall i use my existing personal account or create a new one?

Any advices on my site design issues, affiliate links and site promotion would be appreciated in advance.

Thanks guys,

Jay
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Jay,
Welcome to Affilorama.

Well there are two ways to approach this.
You can target each niche.. Money, Beauty etc..
or
You can keep going how you are going and promote it as a lifestyle blog.
You have a lot of adsense on the site so the trick to that is getting alot of visitors.
Each page will rank separately for the search engines for certain keywords so make sure you have some really relevant content..
I think you really need to focus on getting some traffic and writing some articles linking back to your site.
Make sure they are very good articles though.

People want to belong to a community so maybe opening a forum later may be an option.
This also depends on how well you know your subject matter or niche.

The site could use a top banner in my opinion.

The information looks ok though.. Is it all original?
I spotted some duplicate content here and there, so just try to have original content or your site just won't rank.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

jayliu645
Trust:
Hi troy,

Thanks for your reply.

I would love to change my website layout because i feel the background color is so boring and like you said i should use a top banner. My site is powered by wordpress with a theme and i am not php programmer, it is a headache for me to get into the code and change something.

I also notice that many good blogs home pages are very very long. I have to scroll many times in order to get bottom. Is this usually a good design for a blog?

I have just update my site (vuess.com) slightly so it looks more personal.

Thanks for your advices again,

Jay
jayliu645
Trust:
Hi tory,

Forgot to ask in my last reply, some articles pictures are not original (i took some of them from internet) but the writing are original.

Is this usually ok for blogging? Will it effect my article rank?

Thanks,

Jay
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Jay,

That can be risky. If the images are open source, general public license (GPL) or public domain, then you can use those images without any problem. Otherwise, you might face problems with images that someone owns the rights to. If you just took them from pages on the internet and are using them WITHOUT permission, that can get you in trouble. The safest thing to do is to either use images that you have created or use one that you have permission to use, either through purchase or as one of the ones I mentioned before.

Be very careful with "free" stock images, though, because those do tend to be a bit more restricted in their use or you may have to cite the source with the image to be able to use them.

I recommend using images from a paid source, such as www.istockphoto.com (the one I usually use). For web sources, the smallest images are usually the right size at the best cost, and even then I generally crop, resize, cut out, or modify the image in some way prior to using the images.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

jayliu645
Trust:
Hello gradyp,

Thanks for you reply, it really helps.

Jay

This topic was started on Jun 20, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.