Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Is AwStats accurate?

beldin
Trust:

Is AwStats accurate?

I've just added Google Analytics to my ever increasing set of applications that I'm using but I had a question about AwStats....

Are the unique visitor numbers accurate at all? I put up a very basic site only a few days ago and it's showing 27 unique visitors, two of them are mine from my two computers. I suppose the others could be bots (I've had 5 different hits from bots) and what have you. I do have another site with nothing at all on it and it has 2 unique visitors (my two computers).

Any thoughts?

Stephen
Last edited by michellerana on 07 Oct 09 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title changed to describe the post better

Stephen

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Hi Stephen,

I've read from their site that AwStats like any other log analyzers "over reports" due to problems on proxy-servers and robots. For a more detailed explanation, please visit AwStats FAQs.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

beldin
Trust:
Thanks,

It just seems weird. A site I made for my wife just shows 3 unique visitors and it's been up for 2 weeks (not an SEO/Article site) but this other site, up for 3 days is showing 29 uniques. Very strange program to be so inaccurate. Obviously I'm not getting traffic yet since I only have 3 articles on site and 1 out in article land. LOL
Stephen

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Most analytics programs have some quirks that prevent them from being 100% accurate but for the most part (if they've been installed correctly) are good enough to be a useful gauge of how your site is doing.

Its better to just use one analytics program, otherwise its like the man with two watches whos never sure of the correct time!. It will do your head in if you're getting two sets of different results.

One thing to watch for if youre using a GA WordPress plugin is that it doesnt record admin activity on the site, otherwise the visits to your site will be skewed by your own activity (or if you do enable this just be aware that the visits could be your own).
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
pasquan
Trust:
Which analytics do you recommend Mark?
Last edited by michellerana on 08 Oct 09 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling errors

This topic was started on Oct 07, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.