Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How to migrate WP site to a new directory in the same server

jpastorizo
Trust:

How to migrate WP site to a new directory in the same server

Hi Guys,

My WoW site was totally de-indexed by Google after the Panda Update. Yeah I know it sucks especially that it had multiple 1st page rankings during its glory days. Today, I decided to move the blog to the root directory and rebuild the main html site (originally done with XSP) to wordpress to keep the blog posts that was originally from the /blog directory.

Here is how I did in 12 simple steps:
1. Back up the files in your destination directory (in my case it was the "root" directory)
2. Create a new directory, and name it "backup" as long as there's no folder of that same name.
3. Move all your files from your destination directory to the "backup" directory you just created.
4. Go to the plugins page and search for "Update URLs" by Velvet Blues, dont Activate the plugin yet.
5. Go to Settings > General > update the WordPress address (URL) and the Site address (URL) accordingly and save.
6. Move all your files from your "old" directory (in my case it was the "blog" directory) to the destination directory
7. Re-login to your wordpress blog, dont view your website yet!
8. Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins > look for the "Update URLs" plugin and activate it.
9. Go to Settings > Update URLs > Step 1: Type in your site's Old URL and New URL in their respective boxes > Step 2: Check the box for "URLs in page content".
10. Click "Update URLs NOW"
11. Check your site and make sure all's good and functioning right.
12. Delete the unnecessary files you to free some space in your server.

And you're done!

Regards,
Jon
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your WOW site, Jon :(

Did you try to contact Google? I saw a post where a site was deindexed because someone requested a removal of his site in Webmaster Tools. Maybe you could check and cancel that removal request to put your site back in Google's search results.

Thanks for sharing the information on how you migrated your WP site. I know this would be very helpful to other members.

All the best!
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

jpastorizo
Trust:
Hi Michelle,

I havent tried that but I will contact them as soon as I finish creating the pages in wordpress from the old XSP site format. Thanks for looking out Michelle!

Regards,
Jon

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

You could also submit a reinclusion request via webmaster tools which is basically asking Google to look at your site manually to verify that it actually shouldn't be penalized.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

jpastorizo
Trust:
Thanks for this tip esolutions! I will certainly do that after I convert my site from XSP format to wordpress. I just finished 15 pages, 41 to go!

Regards,
Jon

This topic was started on Nov 06, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.