Joined: 01 May 09
06 Nov 11 6:16 am
How to migrate WP site to a new directory in the same server
My WoW site was totally de-indexed by Google after the Panda Update. Yeah I know it sucks especially that it had multiple 1st page rankings during its glory days. Today, I decided to move the blog to the root directory and rebuild the main html site (originally done with XSP) to wordpress to keep the blog posts that was originally from the /blog directory.Here is how I did in 12 simple steps:
1. Back up the files in your destination directory (in my case it was the "root" directory)
2. Create a new directory, and name it "backup" as long as there's no folder of that same name.
3. Move all your files from your destination directory to the "backup" directory you just created.
4. Go to the plugins page and search for "Update URLs" by Velvet Blues, dont Activate the plugin yet.
5. Go to Settings > General > update the WordPress address (URL) and the Site address (URL) accordingly and save.
6. Move all your files from your "old" directory (in my case it was the "blog" directory) to the destination directory
7. Re-login to your wordpress blog, dont view your website yet!
8. Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins > look for the "Update URLs" plugin and activate it.
9. Go to Settings > Update URLs > Step 1: Type in your site's Old URL and New URL in their respective boxes > Step 2: Check the box for "URLs in page content".
10. Click "Update URLs NOW"
11. Check your site and make sure all's good and functioning right.
12. Delete the unnecessary files you to free some space in your server.
And you're done!