Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How can I get a site like affilorama

lenington
Trust:

How can I get a site like affilorama

hello,
I currently have a site that is in the beginning stages of development using Magazine format but I like the format of the affilorama site. How can I get my site to have the same format, specifically I am interested in having 2 nav rows that go to their own directory instead of pulling current posts. Here is what I have so far:
http://sandralenington.com/TheWorkOfByronKatie

thanks,
sandra
www.sandralenington.com
www.youtube.com/recovery4u

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Nice looking site there!

But, ummmm, that's kind of a difficult question if you don't really understand how a site is put together. You could build something like this just using HTML and doing some PHP includes for the navigation, but it wouldn't be dynamic. (ie, you'd have to manually update all the menus each time you added new stuff.) Affilorama is built using a custom framework and a whole bunch of programmers to do programmery things.

If you're using a content management system for your site, you should also look for a feature like a "display URL" or a "slug" -- that's where you can set the address of a page, rather than using the ugly one the CMS generates.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

beemer5
Trust:
you do have a very nice site there sandra,i seen aletta in her answer said thing's about html and doing some php.can someone tell me what this php mean's?i see it a lot but i don't know what it is.thank you,beemer
lenington
Trust:
Thanks for your response....I would be willing to hire someone to put the framework together...is it Wordpress or something else?

Is there someone there whom I could hire to do it?
Thanks!
www.sandralenington.com

new user
Trust:
@beemer5 - PHP is a type of programming language which you can use for many things. Wordpress (the blog platform) uses it within their pages, to dynamically create the html webpages that everyone sees. It is commonly used in contact form processing too. For example, it checks whether an email address is real or not, before it sends the message.

That's a quick and dirty explanation - hope it helps!
Awesome ebook cover software? Check out - www.ecoversuiteelite.com

beemer5
Trust:
thank you new user,i appreciate the help.all the best to you,beemer
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Sandra,
WordPress is ONE content management system out there that you might be able to bend to your will. But I'm no WordPress guru so I'm not sure. There are other content management systems like Drupal or Joomla which could also do it, but I tear my hair out trying to make those things work. That's why we built the Affilorama structure ourselves. It took us almost a year to put it together from scratch.

You can try digging around on sites like www.rentacoder.com , www.elance.com for someone to build a site for you, but this can be pretty hit and miss.

Good luck.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

lenington
Trust:
thanks Aletta! You did a FANTASTIC job with the site...maybe I will just use plain old html with WordPress.
Sandy
www.sandralenington.com

victor333
Trust:
You have more up than 95% of all the dreamers...Great work for an inexperienced webmaster!!...
Joomla is open source (CMS=Content Management System), and it is coming along nicely with lots of support like Wordpress. You see more and more sites done with it. I'm going to put my next 'system' up using it to get some feel for it.

Good luck