Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Help with URL Domain Names

PremiumMember
stevefrank
Trust:

Help with URL Domain Names

As a newbie, I have a question that might seem silly but I'd appreciate any feedback I could get. When picking a url for a site, are hyphens and/or underscores a bad thing. And, if so, is it better to go for the url you want as a .info instead of a .com if it means that you can get it without the hyphen.

For example if I wanted dogtraining101 but it was not available as a .com or a .net, would I be better getting dogtraining101.info or dogtraining-101.com?

Thanks, in advance.
jpastorizo
Trust:
Steve,

The hierarchy is as follows:
.com
.org
.net

without symbols
with hyphens
with number

So on your example it would be something like:
dogtraining.com
dogtraining.org
dogtraining.net

dog-training.com
dog-training.org
dog-training.net

dogtraining101.com
dogtraining101.org
dogtraining101.net

Affilorama moderators, please share your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

PremiumMember
stevefrank
Trust:
Thanks, Renato. I did some research and found google prefers hyphens to underscores. I wasn't aware of the numbers, however. Thanks for alerting me to that.
jpastorizo
Trust:
Steve, I have never seen any url with underscores. =)

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

PremiumMember
stevefrank
Trust:
Thanks, again, Renato
netfitters
Trust:
Hi Steve,

IMO the best is to have .com with NO dashes (and def no underscores). Also stay away from .net (as that was originally supposed to be used for networks or providers) and .org (as those are supposed to be used for non-profits). I like the "101" ending, but since it isn't available, try replacing it with another word such as guide, tips, tricks, info, secrets, etc. Many of the good domains are for sale or are just placeholders, so maybe you'll get lucky and one will expire. You can also look at eBay and GoDaddy Auctions as they may have a domain auction that fits what you are looking for. WOW! Maybe I should write a 300 word article on this!? :)

- Jeff
PremiumMember
stevefrank
Trust:
Thanks, Jeff. I think you have a great start to a 300 word article. I was trying to stick with 101 because it was in the banner of the site I was thinking of buying.
netfitters
Trust:
Makes sense. Feel free to PM me about the banner. If it's just a graphic, it can be modified to the name you choose.

This topic was started on Aug 26, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.