Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Do different products need separate host sites?

johndes
Trust:

Do different products need separate host sites?

I have a couple of different affiliate products which i want to promote. Ex. golf, diet, acne do i need a separate host site for each?
Last edited by michellerana on 09 Feb 10 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title

PremiumMember
sybiantex
Trust:
You could do a single domain for all three sites and use sub-domains for each product. You would register a generic domain name such as ebookreviews.com then create sub-domains for each niche:

golf.ebookreviews.com

diet.ebookreviews.com

acne.ebookreviews.com

You can set up a WP blog on each of the sub-domains, and Google will treat each sub-domain as its own domain.

Your 2nd option, which I use, is to get a hosting account which supports multiple domains. HostGator has a good one that costs about $30 bucks a month. In this model, each site has its own domain.

Your 3rd, and least desirable option, is to host a single domain and blog post/write reviews for all your products on the one website. In doing that though, you kind of kill your "I'm an expert in my niche" mystique...after all, can you REALLY be an expert in golf, health AND acne? I suppose if you're an in shape golfer with acne problems you could, but start adding other niches to the mix and you may have some problems.

An example of one such site that actually does a pretty good job of this is http://www.ebooksinreview.com/

Personally, I prefer the one site per domain model.
johndes
Trust:
Hi Neighbor sybiantex
Thanks for your info.
Regards johndes
clarafaie
Trust:
Actually, it would be best to have a domain for each niche. You can have 3 to 5 products in each niche and promote them all together on one site.

This topic was started on Feb 05, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.