Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!!!

elmo033057
Trust:

Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!!!

Dear Affilobuds and buddettes,

I just wanted to warn everybody about what happens when you are successful sometimes. I don't usually trash a company unless they do something really stupid. As a matter of fact, I have never trash a company on the Internet until today.

I own and operate several web sites that sell affiliate based products and I have been very diligent about my business. I am a very service oriented person, I believe that the customer should always come first. That is not the moneymaking technique that I use, but philosophy on the way I like to live.

I had my primary business www.ellistrations.com on the Internet for five years. I used the same hosting company and its name is ValueWeb. (www.valueweb.com) I will never use this company again because what they did was very stupid. Just recently, on my web site one of my pages became extremely popular. I started getting a very large about traffic very quickly from it and I was selling affiliate products left and right and finally I started making a very good profit from affiliate products that I was selling.

Two days ago I got an e-mail from ValueWeb stating that I have used up too much bandwidth and they were going to charge me $.31 for overage of bandwidth. The next day, I got another e-mail from ValueWeb and they now stated that I owed them an additional $41 for overage of bandwidth. I promptly went onto ValueWeb's control panel and found out that I was only allowed 10240 of bandwidth and that they were going to charge me money every time I went over an additional 1024 of bandwidth.

I went to the control panel and put a cease to all activities. Two hours later I received another e-mail message from ValueWeb, this time stating that a closed and $47 for bandwidth overages. When I went on the panel and looked at the fine print it stated that it was my responsibility to keep track of my bandwidth and that I would be charged every time I went over it.
The thing that gets me is this. Finally, now that I've had some success, Value Web is going to penalize me. Not just a little, but heavily. And the thing that scared me with this, if I had not been home and I had been on vacation they would've kept charging me and charging me and charging me because the traffic was so heavy on one of my web pages all of a sudden that I would've constantly been going over the bandwidth limit. I COULD HAVE EASILY RACKED UP THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN BANDWIDTH CHARGES!!!!

I have another web site called www.electricbikesnscooters.com and it is hosted with a company called Host Gator. For for just under seven dollars I can host my site and have tons and tons of bandwidth. Also, when I talk to the nice people at Host Gator they informed me that if I went over the bandwidth, they would contact me immediately and if they could not contact me they would just limit my bandwidth and not charge me. Also, Host Gator has 24/7 support on all levels from technical to sales.

Needless to say, I switched my Ellistrations account over to Host Gator.

I guess you could say the moral to my story is this: Stay away from companies like Value Web and make sure you read all of the fine print with whatever company you choose.

Many, Many thanks to Sean06 for pointing me to HostGator!!!

God Bless & Flame On!!!

Elmo :mrgreen:
Mark Ellis a.k.a. "ELMO" Owner Ellistrations http://www.ellistrations.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
That sucks... sorry to hear about that.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
At least things are fine now. I guess the key is to read the fine print, so you know where you stand.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Sean,

Host gator said that they would have me up and running by today but my site is far from up. I hope they aren't having trouble getting my site files.

Oh well, it's not their fault it's that crummy ValueWeb.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that I WAS FINALLY MAKING A STEADY INCOME, DANG IT!!!

I need to lie down...
Flame....uh...on......I guess....

ELMO :(
Mark Ellis a.k.a. "ELMO" Owner Ellistrations http://www.ellistrations.com

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Host gator are putting your site on their server for you?

I just uploaded all my files again?

The thing I like about HG is their help desk. Just logon and chat to a nerd, they will sort you out whenever you have a problem :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Hostgator is uploading files for you?
PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
Another trap is your Internet provider. They too operate on bandwidth allocations.

Here in Australia, Telstra and Optus compete as the two market leaders. At a glance their plans are almost identical in bandwith and price and the sales staff will tell you so but . . .

When we were with Telstra we kept getting slugged for exceeding our bandwidth, with penalties that were almost the same as our normal bill!
We switched to Optus and have never exceeded our bandwidth with the same traffic and the same sites. Puzzled, I started to do some fishing around and discovered that Telstra measure your Uploads and Downloads where Optus measure only Downloads - a fact that is not obvious in the sales BS. That's a big difference if you design websites like we do!

Also Optus slows the transmission rate if you exceed your bandwidth where Telstra charges an excess fee. That makes a big difference if you are on holiday and blow your bandwidth - you come back to a whopping internet bill from Telstra.

The moral of the story is - look at how your ISP and Webhost measures bandwidth and what they do is you exceed it, before you accept the deal.