Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Copywriting and conditions of use

daveboz
Trust:

Copywriting and conditions of use

Hey guys,
Just a quick question. I know that if you want to use an image from someones site you would have to ask them first, but what if you want to take a screenshot of their site? I've done so and posted it on my affiliate site. I've clearly labelled it as a screenshot for their site as well. Is this legal?

Also I had a look at the Terms and Conditions of Reviewica.com . I noticed that all the rules specified were in reference to the state of Texas - USA (as seen at the bottom of the page). Does Texas have some special laws governing websites? Can people from Australia use them as well?

Thanks guys,
Dave
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
daveboz wrote:Hey guys,
Just a quick question. I know that if you want to use an image from someones site you would have to ask them first, but what if you want to take a screenshot of their site? I've done so and posted it on my affiliate site. I've clearly labelled it as a screenshot for their site as well. Is this legal?

Also I had a look at the Terms and Conditions of Reviewica.com . I noticed that all the rules specified were in reference to the state of Texas - USA (as seen at the bottom of the page). Does Texas have some special laws governing websites? Can people from Australia use them as well?

Thanks guys,
Dave

I don't think it matters that much..... but if you want to get techinical you would have to apply the DMCA and the fair use test (purpose, nature, effect, amount).
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I have used screenshots of sites all the time. Mostly with reviews etc, so the site owner would be pretty stupid to not let me use them.

But listen to Adrian, I know he has a decent knowledge of digital law ;)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

daveboz
Trust:
Thanks guys! :D