Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Changing my Domain name

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:

Changing my Domain name

Hi people,

I haven't been here much lately, but I'm still working at it.

I've just started a business selling collectable items and now I want to promote it using my existing affiliate site. I still want to do the affiliate thing, but I can't continue with my old project, I have run out of ideas and simply can't invent enough content to keep it going. So I need to change the sites domain name. Is there any way of retaining my current PR without using a 301 redirect script?

I really have to change the domain name, the current one is totally off topic.

Any advice on how to make this transition as painless as possible would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Colin
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Pretty much the only way to do that is to do a 301 redirect, sorry. Any particular reason why you don't want to do that?

Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
301 is only option.
PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
MarkLing wrote:Pretty much the only way to do that is to do a 301 redirect, sorry. Any particular reason why you don't want to do that?

Mark

Thanks for the speedy response Mark & Adrian (As usual)

No reason really, I just assumed that using a 301 script would have some neg issues somewhere along the line.

If you guys are telling me there's no problems with using a 301 script, then I feel assured already.

By the way, are there any other things I can use the old domain for, in addition to redirecting, once the 301 is in place?

Colin
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Umm.... I'm not too sure on that... I think whenever someone types in the old domain or goes to it... it will redirect asap to the new one... PR change should take a few months too.

Took my site about 3 months to change PR.
PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
Ok, thanks again.

I just have to work out how to put it all into place now...oh boy.... what fun!!!
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Shouldn't be too hard Colin :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Add this to a blank .htaccess file

redirect 301 /old-index-page.html http://www.newhomepage.com

Save & Upload