Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Can I use a link shortening service on my affiliate links?

technickul
Trust:

Can I use a link shortening service on my affiliate links?

If I were to use clickbank to sell things is it ok to use a link shortening service for links on your page that redirect to their page. The reason I would like to do this if you hover over any clickbank link the url it points to just looks like it going to take you somewhere you don't want to be, not visually appealing. But if I used a link shortening service you wouldn't see that, to me it would discourage me from buying something if I checked the link and it was long and had clickbank in the url.

thanks!
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Technickul,

Check out this video in the Lessons->Website Building area:

https://www.affilorama.com/site-building ... -redirects

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

technickul
Trust:
Thanks, I'm sorry I didn't see that in the first place. That doesn't answer whether I can use link shortening it only talks about creating a redirect page.
Thank you for your help Grady!
PremiumMember
graceharman
Trust:
Redirects still cloak your links so people can't see your hoplink etc. You could use link shortening, but personally I think mysite.com/recommends/greatproduct looks much more professional than a typical shortened link like http://tiny.cc/cpkBt
Last edited by ampie g on 16 Mar 10 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: delinked url as it was only used for illustration

technickul
Trust:
Thanks grace its much appreciated! I guess I was just looking for the easier way, but if you recommend that I'll do it. Thanks again!
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
I like the way they recommend the redirects here also because it tells the user what they are clicking to (using Grace's example, in this instance Great Product) without giving them the ugly url. So while you are "techinically" hiding the hoplink, you aren't hiding the fact that your link might take them somewhere else.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

This topic was started on Jan 06, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.