Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Best Wordpress Plugins for Marketing

rhondawhite
Trust:

Best Wordpress Plugins for Marketing

"I love, love, love Wordpress! And I'm fascinated with all the plugins available.

However, I think it's best to keep them at a minimum because I've heard that too many can slow down your sites. In your opinion, what are the absolute must have WP plugins for your business?

I've found some really dandy ones. I do really like the "Affiliate Link Cloaking" plugin which is super simple to use. What's your favorites for your business?
~ Rhonda White
Content Marketing Help:
http://internetmarketingPLRcontent.com

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
It is easy to go wild with plugins - there are so many useful ones. However, there are a few I always use in every WordPress installation - for my own sites and those of my web development clients.
*WP-DBManager - to backup your critical WordPress database(s) and send you email backups (but read the WordPress docs on doing full backups - you need much more than a plugin)
*Advanced Code Editor - Makes editing theme CSS and such so much easier and faster
*Akismet - to fight spam comments
*Clicky for WordPress - I love http://www.getclicky.com for easy real-time metrics
*Jetpack by WordPress - like their widgets
*Redirection - Comes a time you'll need an easy way to handle 301 redirects - this does it
*Use Google Libraries - Usually causes a big improvement in page load speed

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
rhondawhite
Trust:
Those are some very useful ones. I think I may need to add the redirection one. For the plugin, is it mainly to redirect old / deleted pages to new page locations? Or to redirect a whole site to another site? (Just not as knowledgeable about redirects.)
~ Rhonda White
Content Marketing Help:
http://internetmarketingPLRcontent.com

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Both really:
It logs 404 ("page not found") errors and helps you easily re-direct those to pages in your blog.

For one example this error could be from an old static website (which you've replaced with a WordPress blog), where the user has an old link to an *.html page, but WordPress has the same content in a WordPress static page (but no .html file name).

Or could be any other reason.

Or maybe you edited a "slug" or deleted a post and need to redirect that to the current post or page - good for those too. Pretty darn useful - and you don't have to understand .HTACCESS files or Apache Server Directives or any of the other arcane 301 redirect stuff.

This is all on a "page-by-page" basis. Usually to redirect a whole site, you'd do a 301 ("moved permanently") from the control panel of the hosting service of the old website - that would handle the whole site in one 301.

_jim coe

This topic was started on Jun 26, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.