Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Avenue theme how to add disclaimers next to copyright?

sostech
Trust:

Avenue theme how to add disclaimers next to copyright?

I'm using the Avenue theme and I want to put an affiliate disclaimer, privacy policy etc right next to the copyright
real small down on the very bottom of page.

I don't see any easy way to do this without going into the footer.php and adding some manuel code.

PHP always makes things way harder than just HTML too

any tips on this one?

Is there any easy way?
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
I think your intended edit is not in your best interests.

Here's a link to the US Federal Trade Commission info.

First the FTC doesn't want you to make your disclosure harder to see, like below the fold or in a smaller font then your body text. Second having an easily discovered privacy policy is one of Google's Site Quality tests. I don't know for sure, but think they want a full policy page. Also a standard privacy policy contains a whole page's worth of info.

Maybe you mean to put a LINK to those down below the footer?

Hope this helps....
_jim coe
sostech
Trust:
thanks for the link

I noticed this quote from the FTC on that page

"I’ve read that bloggers who don’t comply with the Guides can be fined $11,000? Is that true?"

the FTC then replied

"No. The press reports that said that were wrong. There is no fine for not complying with an FTC guide."

I heard Mark discuss this subject before, I believe as long as you got the links up or down they would have to notify you if they for some reason had a problem with you. Since there are not reports of this type of thing happening to affiliate marketers yet, I don't think there is any need to worry too much.

If Affilo staff wants to chime in we would love to hear if your stance has changed :)
sostech
Trust:
for that matter once I see mark update WOWblackbook with disclaimer up top, then I may follow along :)

with that said I pretty much figured out how to get the links down in the footer, I just hate digging into code and hoped there was an easier way :(
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Thanks for the detailed responses Setio808. Hope Mark or the staff respond as well.

I sometimes have to get into that code below the footer to remove the ads for themes and such. The code seems to vary from theme to theme, so I usually search the WordPress forum or the theme's help or forum pages for the method. More themes should add easy tools to the WordPress dashboard to deal with that area.

_jim coe
cecille.l
Trust:
We still recommend that marketers comply and place an FTC disclaimer on the footer. Personally, I think it's a way of being honest with your users/visitors as well by informing that you get a commission if they purchase from you.

You can try going to Affilotheme > Misc Settings and place the disclaimer there.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

This topic was started on Jul 07, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.