Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

affiliate links not showing online

PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:

affiliate links not showing online

Hi, everybody, I am having problems with my links at the moment, especially the ones at the bottom of the page, when I create a link, I save, I publish, then I go into my site to check it out and always the bottom link does not come up as a link online. It does if I move it up a paragraph so it isnt right at the bottom of the page, but what could be causing this as I havent changed how I do it, and its only the odd one thats not showing???
regards justine
PremiumMember
chrisgoddard
Trust:
Hmmm... that is strange. Would you mind posting a link to the page so I can check out the source code? The smallest little errors can make huge changes in HTML. It can be really annoying. I've had single characters mess up entire web pages. Usually it's something really small though.
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
Hi chris,
I am not sure what you mean by posting a link to the page, baby steps please
regards justine
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
chrisgoddard wrote:Hmmm... that is strange. Would you mind posting a link to the page so I can check out the source code? The smallest little errors can make huge changes in HTML. It can be really annoying. I've had single characters mess up entire web pages. Usually it's something really small though.

http://www.energyofyourown.com/how-wind ... works.html
is this what you mean chris???
PremiumMember
chrisgoddard
Trust:
Hi Justine, yeah that's what I wanted... It's much easier to just look at the HTML code than try to figure out what's wrong by asking.

Ok, so the first two links in the page are working fine... so I think you mean the link at the very bottom of the page right?

I can see the problem there - there isn't actually any text in the link. A link looks like this in HTML:

<a href="http://www.link.com">THE NAME OF THE LINK</a>

But what you have in the bottom one is:

<a href="http://www.link.com"></a>

Easy mistake to make, what you need to do is add the text "Click Here For DIY Home-Made Energy Guide" into the link like so:

<a href="href="http://xxx.xxx.hop.clickbank.net/">Click Here For DIY Home-Made Energy Guide</a></strong></span></font>

I took your affiliate code out here (xxx.xxx)... it's just to demonstrate.

Let me know if that make's sense.
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
I am very happy for your reply and I am going to give this a go today, and will get back to you on how it all goes, I kind of understand, what I dont understand is why its different at the top , to the bottom, when I am doing the same thing for both.

And yes it is the bottom link
I will get back to you chris, thanks heaps
regards justine
PremiumMember
chrisgoddard
Trust:
Not a problem :)

I'm not sure what you're using to build your website, but as far as I can tell the text was simply missing from the bottom link. Either you simply forgot to put it (which I do all the time with HTML) or something happened with the WYSIWYG editor you were using.

Let me know if you get it fixed.
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
Havent had a chance to try yet, just got home from work, but I am using
x-site pro, so far I find it really good, up till now I guess, will let you know how I go with it
regards again
justine
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
Hi Chris still not having much luck, I guess do understand what you mean, but how to do it I am not sure.

What I normally do, and have done from the start, using xsite pro is, highlight the sentence that I want to link, then I click on the little link icon at top of page which will then bring up box for me to put in URL for affiliate product then press OK, and voila. So I dont know what to do differently, sorry. I have truly surprised myself that I have come this far, I am pretty new at this, I appreciate your time and need some more of your time, please help. It seems to be happening more now.
regards justine
morgrim
Trust:
I'm having the same problem, and it's not the html. I simply cut and paste the link (I'm using Xsitepro) into the URL box as instructed.

Problem is, once saved, I go back to look at the page and the highlighted text (the link) has changed from blue to black and is not "clickable" when published and viewed online. Also, when checking the link URL box, the text has vanished completely.

Any ideas?

Thanks
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
Hi there morgrim,I am not sure how I ended up getting them to work, it was alot of stuffing around in the end.
In xsite pro, in design tab, go to text you wanted to highlight.
Highlight that text then go to the link at the top of the page, click on that and then go down to the url section and paste in the hoplink for the product.

Now this is all that the instructions tell you to do I know but I was not getting a link from this either,so once I had done this I went back to the highlighted text in xsite pro and right click on it, copy, and then go back up to the link tab, go to the text area and paste in there the wording of the link that you just copied. try saving that and publishing it and see if that makes it happen.
let me know

regards justine
morgrim
Trust:
Thanks Justine!

That seems to have done the trick. In fact, all the links that were "dead" had the correct URL in the URL box, but about a mile of code in the text box! Once this code was removed and the text copied in as per your reply - Bingo!

Thanks again,

Nigel
morgrim
Trust:
I should add that the "code" in the text box was the html code for the text, but repeated upteen times!
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
considering I am new at this, I feel very proud of myself that I could help you out. I am glad to hear it, its a bit strange though, not sure why it does that, but anyways it worked thats the main thing.
thanks
justine

This topic was started on Jun 23, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.