Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

404 Error On 2 Websites

nates450r
Trust:

404 Error On 2 Websites

I have noticed that for the past few days my websites stopped getting traffic (like 0) so I decided to figure out why.

I typed in a popular sup-page url for my website and a 404 error came up. I tryed another website and the same thing happened.

I have never had any problem like this before
I just happened over night.

Here is my situation
I hosted my first website and then when I published my 2nd-3rd websites i did a shared hosting. So I guess the 2nd/3rd websites are a file under the main hosting of the first website. (If that sounds correct)

I have this setup for years now with no problems.

When I typed in the home page (ex---www,2ndwebsite,com OR www,3rdwebsite,com) the 1st website comes up even with the urls listed above . My first website that I opeded the hosting account with is the only one that works.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Nates,

This is probably a question for your hosting provider. They'll be able to have a peek into your files and see what's going on. They might have done something freaky on accident.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

nates450r
Trust:
That is what I figured. Just thought I would ask. Afilorama is like a multi topic help/support desk. And ii always ask here first.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Haha, no problem.

Let me know if they find the answer. I'd be interested to know what's gone wrong.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

nates450r
Trust:
aletta wrote:Haha, no problem.

Let me know if they find the answer. I'd be interested to know what's gone wrong.

They didn't know what the problem was, but its fixed now. I called tech support today (godaddy) they searched around and had no idea why this happened long story short they deleted the 2 domains and then re uploaded them to my hosting account and after 10 minutes they both were back online and working fine.

Speaking of Godaddy I was reading on here that some people dont like them. Until now I have never had a problem with my websites and they all have had 99.9% up time since 2006.

If I realized my websites were not online the day it happened it probably only been 20 min down time not bad in my opinion.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Bizarre. But good to hear that it is sorted out now.

With hosting it tends to be either "meh, never had a problem" or "OMG NEVER USE THAT COMPANY EVER!". People shout a lot when they have a negative experience, but you never really hear from them when they're having an OK experience.

I guess with GoDaddy being so large, there will be a lot of people shouting about bad things, because they have a lot of customers.

So long as you're satisfied, stick with it I guess. Your uptime is better than mine has been this past week. Sitting on 98.1% with my Hostgator/Namecheap combo.

Pfffff.

This topic was started on Apr 22, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.