Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

What Is Error 302?

bkwrm61
Trust:

What Is Error 302?

Hi All,

This is my first ever attempt at SEO, so bear with me, I'll have a lot of questions as I move through Blueprint and SEO my site.

I ran the Affilotools Health check and I have a couple of issues that I need help with.

The first one is a 302 issue. This is what Tools is telling me:
"Found" the 302 redirect one URL to another without passing the link juice (what search engines track when tracking links for ranking)"

And

"Use a 301 redirect to indicate the original site/content."

This happens to be be for my home page. Originally the first page was a blog posting page which I didn't want, i wanted more of a landing page first. So I created another page to be my landing (home) page and deleted the first.

So, if those of you who are far more savvy about this stuff can explain what to do about this so I can bring the health check up a few more point I would be grateful. I learn fast, but some things i just need 'splained to me.

Thanks
Thomas

PS: At present the health score is 77%, with only three issues. One I have solved myself, the other two I need help with. I'll create another post about the other problem and see what can be done about that. Thanks again!
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Thomas,

A 302 error means the page you're going to or being referred to has been moved temporarily. This doesn't have a huge impact on your on-page SEO and since you've already changed the homepage to a different page and deleted the original page, your domain would refer to the current homepage.

I suggest you wait a few days or about a week for the search engines to index the change, then run the same test.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

bkwrm61
Trust:
Hi Cecille,

I deleted this page a few months ago, so i am not sure waiting a few days will solve the problem.

Also the error I'm getting is from Affilotools not a search engine per se. Does that make a difference?

Thanks
Thomas
marclewis
Trust:
heris
Trust:
A status code of 302 tells a client that the resource they asked for has temporarily moved to a new location. The response should also include this location. It tells the client that it should carry on using the same URL to access this resource.
arnold2
Trust:
Error 302 is asked for has temporarily move to a new location.

This topic was started on Jun 21, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.