Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

What constitutes a website update?

heavysm
Trust:

What constitutes a website update?

I know that we are supposed to do regular updates for our sites, lets say on a weekly basis, but what exactly would look like an update in the eyes of a google or similar search engines? I was thinking that adding another page or two would do something, but Im not sure what I would do after. Maybe change around the layout of a few of my pages, the homepage even? If I change around the layout, does google necessarily notice that i have a different picture or new text on the page? Am I even thinking about this the right way? I feel slightly confused on this. I heard that pinging your site lets search engines notice your changes faster. How exactly would i implement this with an update to my site?
newstart
Trust:
My understanding is that Google and the other search engines want to see added content. I do not believe that changes to the site's cosmetics will satisfy the need for the website update. Affilorama suggests building your static website with increased content to the point where your site has become the authority on the subject niche. So, initially you may establish your site with twenty to thirty articles. Over time you will increase that to one hundred plus articles. The same is true with a blog site with the possible exception that a blog entry may NOT be as complete or as lengthy as a full article.

Every time you add content to your website you should PING the site so that additions to the site are readily recognized. However, if you have added multiple pages to your site in a single day you should only ping your site once.

Affilorama has a PING tool that makes pinging your site quick and easy.

I hope this information is helpful.
heavysm
Trust:
Excellent response, thank you. I see you are a premium member. Does the ping feature you speak of come from your membership?
newstart
Trust:
Yes, the website PING tool is part of being a premium member. Premium membership is well worth the expense.
faradina
Trust:
Hi heavysm,

You can go to https://www.affilorama.com/support/our-products/premium/what-is-inside-affilorama-premium to see what else is included with Premium membership :)

Cheers!
robinjackman
Trust:
informative post and thanks for sharing.

This topic was started on Oct 30, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.