Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Siloing on wordpress

PremiumMember
perswealth
Trust:

Siloing on wordpress

Hello Everyone,

Ok, i siloed my blog (with the Affiloblueprint theme) so i can attach certain pages to a category page. But when i look on the video that aletta did, i see that when she went to the WOWblackbook website and clicked on a category page, then it showed the subcategory pages, and the sub-category pages were indented from the main category page (on the sidebar on the left.)

But when i look at my subpages on the left underneath my main category page, they are NOT indented. I think it looks better if they are indented (like Alletta's) because it shows better on the screen that they are in fact subcategory pages. If they are not indented, as mine are not, then it just looks like regular pages (and not a sub-category pages). Anyone know how to correct this?
cosmolito
Trust:
Ya, I have the same issue too. Not sure what's up. Also, the silo-ed pages now have different URLs. Is that going to hurt me? For example, instead of http://www.mydomain.com/stop-dog-barking/ ... now it's http://www.mydomain.com/stop-barking-dog/stop-dog-barking/.

I I'm wondering if there is a way around this strange anomaly :) I'm positive non-the-less because I know it'll be fine if not get straightened out sooner or later. Cheers all!
Cosmo
“Online social media is quickly eradicating off page SEO as a viable means of gaining rankings.”
- Charles Heflin (cutting edge SEO expert)
www.cosmokeenan.com/synnd

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Cosmo

When siloing (attaching pages to a parent category) you'll want to avoid having a sub page the same name as the parent category, which is what would be happening in the example you mention.

As for indenting the sub-pages, check out this thread on using arrows to indent your siloed pages.
Last edited by ampie g on 25 Jan 10 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: link removed as it no longer exists

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

cosmolito
Trust:
Is there a way to not get these sub pages in WP?
“Online social media is quickly eradicating off page SEO as a viable means of gaining rankings.”

cosmolito
Trust:
If I change all the urls I guess I'll lose the SEO work I did heh?

cosmolito
Trust:
How do I avoid having a sub page the same name as the parent category?

PremiumMember
ashort003
Trust:
hello
robinjackman
Trust:
What is siloing for wordpress?

This topic was started on Aug 25, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.