Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Should I add a link to a government site?

PremiumMember
brianb
Trust:

Should I add a link to a government site?

Hello all,

I'm new to the world of affiliate marketing, and a total newbie when it comes to building a website or pretty much any technical aspect of the internet. To be honest, this is the first time I've ever posted a question on any type of forum but everyone around here seems quite helpful so here I go.

I'm currently on week six of Affilorama 2.0 and I'm loving every minute of it. Really learning a ton.

My question is about adding links to my site.

The niche that I chose is solar power and I'm far from an expert on the subject, Mark speaks about Google PageRank and I'm not sure about either the validity or the legality of adding a gov't link.

Is it ok to link to government websites or sites with some authority on the subject that aren't interested in marketing a product? I'm not sure where that will leave me. Is it something I should avoid, will it be helpful in terms of boosting my Google ranking?

The main reason I was thinking of doing it is because the page covers the price of pre-fab solar power and it costs a ton, I was hoping people might be more inclined to buy a low cost DIY alternative if they looked at the linked sites.

Any tips or info on the subject would be much appreciated. Please feel free to add any points my questions haven't covered as, frankly I feel a bit out of my depth right now.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Brian
jpastorizo
Trust:
Brian,

Yes it is totally okay to link to a governement website. You can have a link at the footer of your site. You can name it "Resources" or even the name of the Government site and just link to that government site. I believe this will help your site in a way because google loves sites that give value to its visitors.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

geoffjackson
Trust:
As said by Renato, have a resources section linking to a goverment site, to a page related to your subject. So there will be plenty to choose from, something to do with green energy on a goverment site. Also find a link on wikipedia.

It wont help you massively, but every little bit helps and something you don't do, will only put you at a disadvantage against others!

Hope that helps
PremiumMember
brianb
Trust:
Thanks very much Renato and Marshallg,

I certainly appreciate the advice.

Having a resources section at the bottom certainly seems like a good idea because then I can probably keep people on my site and still get some value from the links. I was thinking of putting those links in the articles but I now see that will most likely encourage people to leave my site and possibly not return.

As you said marshallg, every little advantage surely helps.

Best Wishes and thanks again,

Brian
jasondodd
Trust:
even better if you can get a government or education site linking to you! but absolutely no problem with having a link to a gov site, particularly on a PPC landing page this can help your quality score.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: https://www.affilorama.com/premium

PremiumMember
brianb
Trust:
Thanks Jason,

I'm just finding my way right now but I'll definitely add some links and see what happens. It would be awesome to have the government linking to my site but I'm pretty sure they won't at this stage!

I haven't reached the PPC instructions quite yet but I'll remember your advice for when I get into it.

I appreciate all the help that's for sure.

Thanks guys!

Brian

This topic was started on Aug 11, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.