Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

SEO Clarification

jonomunch
Trust:

SEO Clarification

Hello.

I was just wondering about when I optimise page with keywords, do key words need to be separate from key phrases?

eg: i want the key words VANILLA and CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM.

Do I optimise the site for the keywords:
VANILLA
CHOCOLATE
CHIP
ICE
CREAM
ICE CREAM
VANILLA ICE CREAM
CHOCOLATE CHIP ICECREAM

or...

VANILLA
ICE
CREAM
CHOCOLATE
CHIP

Because having an article with a heading: VANILLA AND CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM would be more natural than: VANILLA ICE CREAM AND CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM.

Do you get what i mean??
by the way my site is not about ice cream its just an example.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Article title of VANILLA AND CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM would do just fine.

Just include "vanilla" and "chocolate chip ice cream" in your article.
jonomunch
Trust:
ok, so let me get this straight.

if i wanted to have an article about VANILLA ICE CREAM and CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM, the title VANILLA AND CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM would be ok?

Does the actual, word for word keyphrase have to be in the article, or will google pick up on each individual word in the key phrase?
I cant help feeling that i am not making any sense.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
jonomunch wrote:ok, so let me get this straight.

if i wanted to have an article about VANILLA ICE CREAM and CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM, the title VANILLA AND CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM would be ok?

Yes it would

Does the actual, word for word keyphrase have to be in the article, or will google pick up on each individual word in the key phrase?

You should include the actual phrase in the article. However by having "Vanilla and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream" in your title - Google will see it as both Vanilla Ice Cream as well as Chocolate Chip Ice Cream" plus a couple other ways of putting it together.

Hope this helps.

I cant help feeling that i am not making any sense.
johneniste
Trust:
What about Strawberry Ice Cream - my favourite!!

If it were me i would look at the search volumes for exact match.
If [vanilla ice cream] had a much bigger search volume than [chocolate chip ice cream] then i would likely want to keep that phrase together so i would go for "chocolate chip and vanilla ice cream" - that way the "bolded" words in the search results for "vanilla ice cream" would be:
Delicious Chocolate Chip and Vanilla Ice Cream Recipes
as opposed to
Delicious Vanilla and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipes