Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

lots of backlinks to domains

jasjotsingh
Trust:

lots of backlinks to domains

hey i was wondering if we need to have lots of backlimks probably in hundreds or thousands in some cases to the main domain in order to rank for a particular page because of the most top 10 pages in all niches and major keywords have only a few links pointing to their ranking pages according to yahoo and the main domain itself has got thousands of incoming links.

Is it compulsory to do so in order to rank for any particular page on our website.
michael025
Trust:
It isn't really compulsory, but backlinks add to the rankings of your sites....of course, having a lot of backlinks help, but what is more important is the quality of the backlinks you get for your site....especially with the new google panda algorithm....
joshuas
Trust:
I agree with Michael that's it's not compulsory. I've got some sites ranking on the first page without the need of thousands of backlinks (couple hundred maybe). Plan out a backlink strategy and have a good variety of links spread out over a period of time.

I usually split my strategy in at least two phases. The first is the compulsory stage with a standard amount of backlinks. The second is optional and depends on the progress the page has made in terms of ranking. If necessary, I will step up the game and implement the second phase.

Regards,
Joshua
jasjotsingh
Trust:
hey i got it it's important to have both quality and quantity links to the domain and that will help you rank for internal pages as well. the best strategy would be have enough quality links to the pages you are trying to rank for, doing this way will automatically build enough standard links to the domain.

i hope this will help my site get to the top position.

any suggestions and one more thing having backlinks from duplicate article pages will also count as standard backlinks for the whole domain.

i know these duplicate content links would be worthless but will they still count as quantity of backlinks needed for the domain in order to boost serps.

What do you say joshua and miachel.
joshuas
Trust:
Hi, I've reread your reply a few times and I still don't really understand your question. Could you perhaps rephrase your question?

Joshua
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
The thing with ranking in the serps is that it all depends on the specific keyword. i have some ranking with as few as a hundred links, and some with thousands of links that are still slowly crawling up the rankings.

This is why analyzing competition is important when choosing your keywords that you want to target.

Backlinks still power the web, and you will need them for long term growth, but you cannot say an exact number that works for everything.

What you need to do is set a goal for each keyword, and then measure your progress to see how many more links you might need.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

This topic was started on Mar 10, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.