Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Google dance or something strange?

fuzzyhead
Trust:

Google dance or something strange?

Hi all,

Helping my friend out with his website & today I noticed his site hit the top spot on the 1st page for one of his keywords, all good but...

Went round his house to announce the good news but when I put the keyword in google on my laptop it shows his site at position 1, on his laptop it shows his site at position 7 & on his mac (still using google) his site comes up at position 6 !?!

Using the same browser, same keyword, same wireless connection but 3 different computers in the same room shows different ranking positions, any ideas why?

Probably a really simple answer but I'm stumped as to why, thanks for any help.
beldin
Trust:
You'll want to use a tool like Traffic Travis or Scroogle.com in order to get an unbiased indication of your rank. Google likes to track the sites you frequent and when you search for them, they will come up higher in the rankings for you. Search on another computer and you'll get different results.

Sorry if this is a bubble buster... keep up the work and you will see progress.

Stephen
Stephen

fuzzyhead
Trust:
Thanks for the info Stephen, I thought it might be something like that.

Is Webmaster tools any good as an indication on rank for a keyword? At the moment the keyword is showing page 3 + on Webmaster tools for his site.
faradina
Trust:
The thing with webmaster tools is that I found some time back that there is a delay in the reporting so that when you try to find your page where it says it is at, it's no longer there. So I haven't really been looking there.
I prefer using Traffic Travis.

This topic was started on Jun 16, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.