Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

duplicate content issue

jasjotsingh
Trust:

duplicate content issue

hey my duplicate page was indexed,will Google penalized my whole
website although i have removed the page now.
Will my other article seo optimized pages suffer because of this
having duplicate
content earlier which has been indexed.

how do we know in general if our website has been penalized by Google.
even if we have removed the duplicate pages.

how much time does it take for spiders to crawl our new pages again.
does robots monitor updates to our website every 24 hours.
joshuas
Trust:
I highly doubt it. After all, plenty of Wordpress blogs first post (default one with wordpress) gets indexed without any adverse effects on the blog itself. Just remove the duplicate page and everything should be fine.

The rate at which spiders crawl your site can vary although if you want to speed up the process you could post a backlink to your site in a frequently crawled site like a high profile forum or submit to social bookmarks, rss directories etc. The other thing you could do is generate a new site map and update Google webmaster tools if you use that although I think that is less effective.

Joshua
jasjotsingh
Trust:
you mean that just by deleting the duplicate page it will be fine and avoid any penalities or issues by google.Doing this will not have any effect on any further articles i have on my site.

will also not affect seo for my article pages as they are unique.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
jasjotsingh wrote:hey my duplicate page was indexed,will Google penalized my whole
website although i have removed the page now.
Will my other article seo optimized pages suffer because of this
having duplicate
content earlier which has been indexed.

According to the article on duplicate content in Google's Webmaster page:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66359 wrote:
Duplicate content on a site is not grounds for action on that site unless it appears that the intent of the duplicate content is to be deceptive and manipulate search engine results. If your site suffers from duplicate content issues, and you don't follow the advice listed above, we do a good job of choosing a version of the content to show in our search results.

I'm sure your intention was not to manipulate your ranking so there's no need to worry about being penalized for duplicate content.

jasjotsingh wrote:how do we know in general if our website has been penalized by Google.
even if we have removed the duplicate pages.

If you are guilty of duplicating your content, your site can be removed from Google's index. Do a site search for your page URL (site:yourwebsite.com) to check if your page is listed.

jasjotsingh wrote:how much time does it take for spiders to crawl our new pages again.
does robots monitor updates to our website every 24 hours.

It would be difficult to know when the spiders would crawl your site but using Affilorama's Ping Tool will let search portals and other services know that you have made changes on your site. Make sure to run this each time you update your content to increase your crawl rate and ensure that your search listings are up to date.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

joshuas
Trust:
jasjotsingh wrote:you mean that just by deleting the duplicate page it will be fine and avoid any penalities or issues by google.Doing this will not have any effect on any further articles i have on my site.

will also not affect seo for my article pages as they are unique.

Yup, as michelle has replied above, according to Google they will only take action if they find duplicate content so just remove that and things should be fine.

I suggest doing a site search (site:yourwebsite.com) as michelle suggested if you're concerned you've been deindexed.
PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
Duplicate Content Is quite relative... It Depends and then it Depends some more and no one knows.... 1000 of Duplicate news articles gets distributed to news papers everyday from news agencies still most of them get indexed even if they are 100% duplicate content...
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

faradina
Trust:
News syndication is viewed a little differently, I believe, since for the most part there is no intent to manipulate SE rankings when news is syndicated.

Google wrote:on http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=66359, "in the rare cases in which Google perceives that duplicate content may be shown with intent to manipulate our rankings and deceive our users, we'll also make appropriate adjustments in the indexing and ranking of the sites involved. As a result, the ranking of the site may suffer, or the site might be removed entirely from the Google index, in which case it will no longer appear in search results."
jasjotsingh
Trust:
Thank you fara, michelle, joshua you have cleared up my confusion.

This topic was started on Mar 09, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.