Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Do you have a sitemap submitted to google webmaster tools?

elizahern99
Trust:

apartments for rent in Calgary

newstart
Trust:
The sitemap that is necessary for Google analytics is the xml sitemap. If you are using WordPress there is an easy plug-in that you can install on your website. Using X-Site Pro you can place an xml sitemap on the website by going the the section titled "OTHER".

An XML sitemap allows the search engines to readily read what is on the website which is beneficial for the site's recognition along with overall search engine ranking. This sitemap is different from a sitemap that you may have on your website for your visitors use.

Margene
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:

Always.

You can use a WordPress plugin to generate, update and upload your "sitemap.xml" file to Google, or a free online service can create one for you (which you have to handle yourself) like:
http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

If you're not using an automatic WordPress plugin, you have to save your sitemap.xml file to your computer, then upload it (via FTP - "File Transfer Protocol") to the root folder of your website on your web server.

There is a free FTP extension for Firefox, which I hear is fairly decent. I use the commercial FTP client "WS_FTP" and recommend it.Of course Dreamweaver (the website editor) has FTP built-in. I expect other web page editors also have their own FTP.
cecille.l
Trust:
I take it you are referring to the search engine readable XML sitemaps since you mentioned

submitted to google webmaster tools?

It's essential that you submit an XML sitemap to search engines because the sitemap helps search engines know what is on your site.

There's another sitemap which is for your readers. You can choose to create one for your readers too. Having a sitemap for your readers help in navigating your site, especially when you have a lot of content.

Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
There are several good products which will scan your website and create nice looking visitor-facing site maps (Vs "sitemaps" or "sitemap.xml").

I haven't kept up with the latest products for this purpose, but a Google search will find many. I know CoffeeCup Software makes one. And there is one built into my favorite diagramming/charting program - SmartDraw.

This topic was started on Apr 01, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.