Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Advertiser Competition - is this a factor in choosing my KW?

PremiumMember
mulldb
Trust:

Advertiser Competition - is this a factor in choosing my KW?

Hi, I'm in the process of building my first keyword list and am at the stage of using the Google Keyword Tool. I've copied the first batch of keywords into the tool and sorted them with the largest Monthly Search Volume at the top. As I'm deciding which of the phrases to use from this first group, I look for high volume & three or more words. Then I notice that there is very high Advertiser Competition on many. Should I avoid those with higher Advertiser Competition or is that not a factor to consider?

Thanks,
Dave
Last edited by michellerana on 05 Jan 10 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
The values you see on the "Advertiser Competition" are the number of advertisers that bidding on that keyword and will tell you how competitive ad placement is for that specific keyword. This will be useful if you are doing PPC. Advertiser Competition will not affect your site rank on organic listings.

If you want to study keyword competition (SEO), you could use the SEO Analysis feature in Traffic Travis. It will give you information on the top sites plus other important information such as page rank, age, title and backlinks.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

bynk101
Trust:
Hi Michellerana,

For the purposes of starting off is it better to ignore "Advertiser Competition" or is it worth finding keywords that have a low Advertiser Competition so that when we come to promote the site later through PPC it's easier.

As a moderate newbie should I just be concerned with organic listing to start with?

Many thanks,

Mark
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
bynk101 wrote:Hi Michellerana,

For the purposes of starting off is it better to ignore "Advertiser Competition" or is it worth finding keywords that have a low Advertiser Competition so that when we come to promote the site later through PPC it's easier.

As a moderate newbie should I just be concerned with organic listing to start with?

Many thanks,

Mark

You need not to worry about "Advertiser Competition" when you're starting out. It's not a very accurate way in choosing keywords for SEO. It would be best to begin with ranking organically before going into PPC.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Jan 04, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.