Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

What should an AdWords campaign CTR be? Should I stop mine?

daveboz
Trust:

What should an AdWords campaign CTR be? Should I stop mine?

Hey guys,
I'm wondering if I should stop my current AdWords campain. I am only getting a CTR of just under 2%. Is that good enough to keep going with this campaign? What kind of CTR should I be going for?
Dave
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
CTR isn't the only criteria you should be looking at.

If I was making money (ie profit) from a campaign, I wouldn't be too worried about the CTR.

However, I'm sure you can fix it up a little. Can you give us the types of keywords you're using?
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

daveboz
Trust:
Wow that was a quick reply! :D
I've been doing some AdWords campaigns on Quit Smoking products. I'm finding that you need to have a CPC of $0.30 to get you AdWords posted. Also at the above price, I'll get 27 clicks for 1,736 Impr. in one day. (CTR a little less than 2%)
I haven't sold any of the product yet but I have had in total 73 clicks.
Should I dump the campaign and try something else? How long should I stick it out for before making decisions like that?

Oh, and in response to your post, my active keywords are:
stop smoking
smoking facts
teen smoking
easy way to stop smoking
daveboz
Trust:
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to ask.

I'm trying to optimise my new site. In the lessons, mark has listed he mentions heaps of websites to submit articles too. However I do remember him saying he paid someone else $2 per submission to have them manually submit his article to 50 websites. I can't remember who provides this service (and can't find it in the notes).

Can you guys recall who he was talking about?
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey Dave,

A rule of thumb is to spend about half of what you would get in commission on a campaign and if there are still no sales, then let it go. This is a conservative method if you don't have the cash to waste.

I think you really need to concentrate on finding really targeted keywords. You might get a lot of clicks for "stop smoking", but most people are just looking for some basic information. Not many of those people will actually buy a book.

I think Mark was talking about iSnare for the article submissions.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

crowzy
Trust:
Hi daveboz!

CTR just under 2% is not that bad and as Sean said there is always a way to improve that by slightly changing your ads and identifying your best performing keywords.

Anyway after only 73 clicks it is too early to see if campaign is working or not. Personally, I would wait for at least 300-350 clicks and if after that there is still no sales coming in I would pause it for a month or so.
(To see if any cookie sale comes in.)

Still nothing after all of this. Forget it and move on.

Just my personal opinion.

Cheers
daveboz
Trust:
Great thanks guys, that's brilliant!

I'll make some changes to my keywords and stick with it until 300 clicks are completed. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Goodstuff Dave, try to put yourself in the shoes of a buyer. What would you search for?
www.SixDayWeekend.com

rcormack
Trust:
Sean, do you mean spend half the commission on the whole campaign? That doesn't seem like much and would never stretch to 300 clicks. If you had a lot of keywords, only a few clicks of some of them? Would it be reasonable to spend that much on one popular keyword to see if it makes a sale? Also, in ppc, are you not banking on the cost per click to reduce over time, especially if you move your ads down to position 4?