Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

The Right Way to Set Up Affiliate Links

PremiumMember
duraid
Trust:

The Right Way to Set Up Affiliate Links

Hi,

I have been reading around that there is a right way and a wrong way to set up affiliate links, which can mean the difference between getting credit for a sale and not getting credit.

1 - So to begin with, I wanted to check, most products on clickbank have their own link generator which allows you to generate different links to different parts of the vendor's sales page if you want to. I assume these are safe to use 'naked', i.e. without using a redirect and will work fine. So if a customer clicks on that link and purchases, you will get credit. Am I right in thinking this?

2 - How long after the customer returns to that particular site will you get credit for the sale?
3 - If you add tracking Id, will that affect you getting credit?
4- Is there something you have to make sure you do to ensure that your links don't get messed up or something or can anyone 'steal' your credit?
5 - can you use Redirects i.e. have a normal looking domain name which is redirecting the customer to the affiliate link as I have done in the past and will this work?

Thanks in advance for your help..

Duraid
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Duraid,

1 - So to begin with, I wanted to check, most products on clickbank have their own link generator which allows you to generate different links to different parts of the vendor's sales page if you want to. I assume these are safe to use 'naked', i.e. without using a redirect and will work fine. So if a customer clicks on that link and purchases, you will get credit. Am I right in thinking this?

This depends on what these links look like. The main purpose of creating redirects for your affiliate links is to make them more " presentable " to the users as they might be apprehensive to click on a link that looks like "http://hop.1234&4.tracking.844.clickbank.com/aff=id" over a simple–looking link like "https://www.affilorama.com/go/clickbank".

You should still get the sale, both through the " naked link " and redirect that is set up correctly.

2 - How long after the customer returns to that particular site will you get credit for the sale?

I think for Clickbank, the cookie is stored on the user's computer for 30 days. This means that if the member visits the sales page through your link, then decides to purchase the course several days later, you still get that sale.

3 - If you add tracking Id, will that affect you getting credit?

The tracking is mainly for tracking how many clicks you get on the affiliate link. It does not affect the sale or getting credit for it.

4- Is there something you have to make sure you do to ensure that your links don't get messed up or something or can anyone 'steal' your credit?

The most you can do as far as I know is to track your affiliate links. This way you are able to monitor how many clicks you get versus the actual sale.

5 - can you use Redirects i.e. have a normal looking domain name which is redirecting the customer to the affiliate link as I have done in the past and will this work?

This can work but I would be wary of using this on PPC ads and the like as they do not like this particular method. It is still best to get them to the page on your site that has the affiliate link.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

If you're using Wordpress, you can setup nice redirects using the free Pretty Link plugin.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

joshjocky
Trust:
1. No.. Only through the redirect links, your track code is noted so you can get the credit when customers mad purchases.
2. It depends on not the time. If the customer completed a purchase, the site will note the track code and then pay to you.
3. Tracking ID is must for credit adding by counting the clicks and sale. It Dont affect the credit.
4. If you track your affiliate links, there will be no stealing and all.
5. Actually, i don't know the answer exactly. Can anyone please explain for me too.?
aiyeas
Trust:
Hello

This maybe have been answered before but I am new in this.
I am using bing adwords with redirecting to the affiliate site and had a great conversion rate.
But the affiliate don't like landing from the adwords to their site directly but first to my page and then have the customer click on the link and redirect to them. Doing that killed sales dramatically since there is an extra step and my landing page has just a big banner telling people to click on it to get what they want.

My question is can you somehow from the adwords land to the affiliate but showing that the click came from my page even though it didn't.

Thanks
contenticonz
Trust:
aiyeas wrote:Hello

I am using bing adwords with redirecting to the affiliate site and had a great conversion rate.
But the affiliate don't like landing from the adwords to their site directly but first to my page and then have the customer click on the link and redirect to them. Doing that killed sales dramatically since there is an extra step and my landing page has just a big banner telling people to click on it to get what they want.

My question is can you somehow from the adwords land to the affiliate but showing that the click came from my page even though it didn't.

Thanks

I'm a little confused on what you're actually asking. Due to this and in order to effectively help you as much as I can and as well as others, is there anyway you can rephrase the question?
esolutions
Trust:
aiyeas wrote:Hello

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, it may kill sales, but it is also an opportunity to prequalify your leads. You have two options (and faking the click source is not one of them).

1. Improve your landing page to get more click throughs and/or capture an email address for later followup

OR

2. Find a different affiliate offer that allows a straight through click

Actually, one more option and maybe the best, would be to promote CPA offers instead of relying on the immediate sale. If you are already experienced in setting up ads and getting sales, you should be able to do very well with CPA landing pages.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

This topic was started on Aug 18, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.