Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

How to Set the Destination url in Google Adwords

nates450r
Trust:

How to Set the Destination url in Google Adwords

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about adwords.

In one of my adwords campaigns I have put the destination url as my websites home page because that is the page I want the visitors to be directed to. The website has a lot of content and many articles.

This is my question/problem, follow the example below :

You have a website called w w w.abc's.com .
You want the home page to be the landing page (you want to direct traffic only to the home page).
Now...on your website, there is a page called Learn ABC's.
In the Google search someone types--- Learn ABC's.
Then they click on your ad and it takes them to abc's.com/Learn abc's.html
----------------
Can someone explain why it does this, this is happening a lot with my websites i only want the traffic to be directed to my home page.

Could this be a organic search problem? And not an adwords problem?
If someone searches for learn abc's and you have a whole page /article about learn abc's ?

I'm really confused. LOL
Last edited by ampie g on 25 Jan 10 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed http on URL as it is only used as illustration and not an actual link

jpastorizo
Trust:
nates450r,

The visitor may have seen your site from organic search results. The visitor will never be taken to abc.com/learnabc.html unless that is what you specified as the destination url in your ad in your adwords campaign.

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yep, if you're not advertising that page in Google, then you're not getting adwords traffic. Unless Google has started to give out free clicks :)

It's just because your page has been spidered and google thinks that the specific page is more relevant for that particular keyword than the home page.

Sean
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

nates450r
Trust:
Yes, that is what I figured was happening.

See, the problem is google is taking them (organic search visitors) to my article pages.
And most of those visitors don't even see my homepage.
jpastorizo
Trust:
As long as they convert you should be happy!

nates450r
Trust:
They're NOT converting; that's why I'm not happy.

Could it help to reference my homepage in future articles (link to my homepage)??
jpastorizo
Trust:
nates450r wrote:Yes, that is what I figured was happening.

See, the problem is google is taking them (organic search visitors) to my article pages.
And most of those visitors don't even see my homepage.

Nates, I am starting to be confused as to why that is happening. If you are doing PPC then the page you specified as your destination url should be where your visitors land when they click your add. The only reason I see visitors on your site going to your other articles besides the home page is when they have searched google and your article is what pops up. Like Sean said "It's just because your page has been spidered and google thinks that the specific page is more relevant for that particular keyword than the home page.". If you have been building links for SEO purposes and rank you website on the organic search results then you have probably been building backlinks for your internal pages or as most call it "deep linking".

Try to modify the article in such a way that it retains the visitors from organic searches and be able to reference your homepage.

Here is something I learned from StomperNet - when doing SEO you should try to rank for your 2nd tier keywords which are easier to rank for. It will eventually help your homepage as well and it will make it easier for you to have good results through your link building efforts for your homepage.

Renato

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
ok, newbie question. What are your 2nd tier keywords.
this thread is going way off topic by the way. we are on ppc not seo
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

jpastorizo
Trust:
I can't answer your question James if this is going out of topic as answering your question here might lead it to longer discussion. Start a thread in SEO if you like and send me the link. I will answer your question there.

Renato

This topic was started on Jun 30, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.