Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

AdWords Keywords

PremiumMember
kristine
Trust:

AdWords Keywords

Hi everybody!

I have a question on my AdWords keywords. In one of the lessons, Mark says you should use exact match, phrase match and negative match.

My question is do we use these in conjunction with the broad match?

For example, if I have the keyword pancake syrup, should I have my campaign running;

[pancake syrup]
"pancake syrup"
pancake syrup

-xxx (heh - you never know!)

OR should it simply be WITHOUT the broad match term?

Kristine
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Use negative keywords in conjunction with phrase match

or

Use exact match.

both methods result in a similar outcome. ie you eliminate the words you dont want by either exactly specifying the words you DO want (exact match), or by specifying the words you DON'T want (negative keywords).

Hope this helps!:)

Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
kristine
Trust:
Thanks Mark,

That does help!

All the best.
creat3cp
Trust:
MarkLing wrote:Use negative keywords in conjunction with phrase match

or

Use exact match.

both methods result in a similar outcome. ie you eliminate the words you dont want by either exactly specifying the words you DO want (exact match), or by specifying the words you DON'T want (negative keywords).

Hope this helps!:)

Mark

dear mark,

I am new to keyword research. I do have a software call TheDowser for keyword research. In general, how many keywords per ad campagn?

what to do if most of the keyword are high paying?
Support
greg
Trust:
Hi creat3cp,

There is no set number of keywords per campaign, however I find that I can write more specific, higher converting ads when I have fewer keywords in an adgroup. 5 - 13 is a really ideal number for many of my campaigns (if you have time.) For more expensive/ high traffic keywords I try and break it up even more, some of my adgroups only have 1 keyword.... this gives you greater control & reporting of what's happening. :shock:
creat3cp
Trust:
greg wrote:Hi creat3cp,

There is no set number of keywords per campaign, however I find that I can write more specific, higher converting ads when I have fewer keywords in an adgroup. 5 - 13 is a really ideal number for many of my campaigns (if you have time.) For more expensive/ high traffic keywords I try and break it up even more, some of my adgroups only have 1 keyword.... this gives you greater control & reporting of what's happening. :shock:

greg thanks i shall try..keyword research is really a very broad field and need to test and test and test until get it right. phew.....I still got a long way to master it even thought have been on the Internet markeing for about 3 years...
creat3cp
Trust:
In general, should we aim to get our ads rank in 3rd to 6th position?

I see it as meaning less to rank in on the 2nd page. Also, the CPC to pay for 2nd page can be higher than the 1st page?

Can you share 1 simple technique for newbies to try out in getting low cpc and getting high CTR keyword?

It seems so difficult to even get ranked on 1st page using popular keywords as the cost would be too high.

How do we get close to the popular keyword(meaning beat the popular keywords) without paying high cpc?