Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Should I Trademark my Website Domain Name?

PremiumMember
thebigventure
Trust:

Should I Trademark my Website Domain Name?

Hi all,
Just a quick question...
I was reading an article about trademarks and domains on the internet.. Basically if anyone bought a domain which someone has "trademarked" already.
So example, I buy the domain "www.monkey45.com" but there is a trademark of a product or a company called "Monkey45" then they have all rights to the domain, and can kick me off even after i start making money through affiliate marketing.
So my question is to Mark Ling and others, Should I or Do you trademark your domains to protect yourselves when these websites of yours start making over 5 to 6 figures a year??
Thankyou,
Ashton
Last edited by michellerana on 10 May 10 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

http://www.TheBigVenture.com - Started 6 years ago...finally making $15,000+ per month now!

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
If you are using your company name as your domain name and are selling your own products then trademarking will offer an additional level of security to your online business.

However, if you have an affiliate site and you're not using your company name then it wouldn't be necessary to protect your domain name.

It will be best to get an opinion from a lawyer with expertise in internet and trademark law if your really interested in trademarking your domain name.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

faradina
Trust:
I am reviving this somewhat-old thread as we have quite a number of new members who are registering their first domain names.

In addition to what Michelle has said above, if you have established a company and/or have settled on using a tradename, it would be a very good idea to register it.

This is regardless of whether you will use it as your domain name or not, although you will probably find that you want to use your tradename (company name or brand) as your domain name eventually.

Even if your company or business is offline, registering your tradename/trademark is recommended. In some locations, it's actually mandatory.

This topic was started on May 10, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.