Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Proper "Index" page name?

dvmav_aa
Trust:

Proper "Index" page name?

A long, long time ago (early 90s) I came to believe that one should have multiple "index" pages (i.e. index.html,

default.html, etc.).

I think that this had something do do with what Netscape Navigator would look for vs IE and/or what different servers would

default to.

Now I am wondering about the duplicate content and canonicalization ramifications of having more than one "index" page.

Is there any reason now to have more than one "index" page, and if not, what should that one page be named for a HTML based

site?

Thanks!
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
"Index" page refers to home page now. sometimes, a website's sitemap is also referred to by search engines as the "index page". There is no reason to have two index pages in a website since they would have the same content.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

This topic was started on Jun 28, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.