Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Landing Pages

amarsh83
Trust:

Landing Pages

I have what I know to be a very common question among newcomers to affiliate marketing, but I have never read an answer anywhere that answers the question from the angle that I am curious about.

I have read countless times that direct-linking has poor results compared to using landing pages. My question is, is a landing page still needed if the traffic is coming from redirected URLs?

It seems like all of the information regarding the use of landing pages is based around being effective in AdWords and other PPC traffic sources, but if the traffic comes automatically from URL redirections and isn't paid for on a per click basis, is the landing page still necessary?

My thought is that, if the traffic comes automatically, adding a landing page or middleman into the equation would just be adding another step that the user would have to click through to get to the merchant page. No matter how good my landing page is, I would think that adding another step to the equation could only hurt my conversion rate.

I wanted to mention that my question also applies to display advertising. I know of a few places that offer unlimited impressions for a monthly base fee for banner ads, so basically, my question is regarding the necessity of landing pages for traffic that isn't paid for on a PPC structure.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to clarify this for me.
Last edited by amarsh83 on 27 May 11 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kakaboo
Trust:
A good landing page is meant to pre-sell the product that you are promoting, nothing else. It all boils down to tweaking and testing - if your landing page helps to increase conversions, then keep it, if not, dump it and see how well the traffic and CTR converts... keep changing as you go along...

A good landing page would sometimes have already managed to get the buyer to buy it, then they sometimes just go to the merchant page only to check the price... and you have to admit some sales copies of vendors aren't really that good..
amarsh83
Trust:
Thanks for your reply.

I am beginning to understand, however, if a pre-sell page is necessary then why do the merchants build their page entirely around selling the product? What is the difference between a sales pitch that the merchant would use, and a pre-sales pitch that the affiliate would use?

This topic was started on May 26, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.