Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Is the World of Warcraft logo copyrighted?

sonnym75
Trust:

Is the World of Warcraft logo copyrighted?

I am looking into a wow guide affiliate page - can I use the World of Warcraft logo, art etc to build my page? I have seen vendors use them on pitch pages so I am wondering where does licensed content begin to separate from public domain when it comes to webpage graphics. Is there some kind of "reasonable use" requirement or something?

Thanks guys
Last edited by michellerana on 02 Oct 09 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: title changed to describe the post better

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
It would be best to contact the owner of the site to ask for permission to use his logo/image. If he is the copyright holder, he will give you usage rights so that you could use it.

You could also search http://www.copyright.gov to check if the website has copyright. Below is an excerpt from the US Copyright Office FAQs:

=================

Is it legal to download works from peer-to-peer networks and if not, what is the penalty for doing so?

Uploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner's exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution. Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150,000 for each work infringed. In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable for the attorney's fees incurred by the copyright owner to enforce his or her rights.

Whether or not a particular work is being made available under the authority of the copyright owner is a question of fact. But since any original work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium (including a computer file) is protected by federal copyright law upon creation, in the absence of clear information to the contrary, most works may be assumed to be protected by federal copyright law.

Since the files distributed over peer-to-peer networks are primarily copyrighted works, there is a risk of liability for downloading material from these networks. To avoid these risks, there are currently many "authorized" services on the Internet that allow consumers to purchase copyrighted works online, whether music, ebooks, or motion pictures. By purchasing works through authorized services, consumers can avoid the risks of infringement liability and can limit their exposure to other potential risks, e.g., viruses, unexpected material, or spyware.

=================

Hope this helps.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

This topic was started on Oct 01, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.