Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

I've got a Wordpress blog - Need help with Editing it

cmamystery
Trust:

I've got a Wordpress blog - Need help with Editing it

Ok guys,
I need help! I have a wordpress blog up that i've installed and am using a theme. Now maybe this question can be answered because it is basic, maybe not, but here I go.

In the header, I've changed my picture and have some links in my header ( there i guess floating on the header) that say HOME and ABOUT. now, how do I add another name/link there that links to my actual website. write now the blog is at blog.mywebsite.com. but i want a link on the blog in the header that says mywebsite.com beside home and about. how do I do that? can anyone help me?
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Try copying one of the links that is already there, pasting it wherever in the order of links you want it to appear, and changing the link and the anchor text?

A link looks like this:

So find a link, copy it, change whatever is where the WEBSITE OR PAGE ADDRESS bit is to "/" (that's the root of your website, the very beginning) and then change the anchor text to say "Home" or whatever.

Actually since you're using a subdomain, going to the root might not work (since it might send you to the root of blog.mywebsite.com, which IS blog.mywebsite.com. Try entering "http://www.yourwebsite.com" in the WEBSITE OR YOUR PAGE ADDRESS section :)

Something that might be useful for you (we're loving it here) is a little plugin you can get for the Firefox browser called "Firebug". If you install that, restart your browser and look at your home page, you can open up Firebug, click "inspect" and then hover over different sections of your page. Firebug will highlight the relevant section in your source code, and then also tell you which CSS styles are being applied to it and where exactly they can be found.

This is really useful for examining pages that you didn't create yourself, because often you don't know how it's all put together. And it would be very useful for Wordpress themes! You can even change things in Firebug and it shows you what it looks like in your browser. The good thing, though, is that you could hover over your link buttons, and Firebug would highlight what section in your HTML is creating the buttons, so it's really easy to see.

Anyway, enough rambling. Hope that answers your question.

Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

cmamystery
Trust:
i was looking for that, but the code is so crazy. it's done with all of these css and link to this if the user picks this etc. i seriously can't find it..but i'll try again. what style sheet would it be in? header? i'll look again though. i'll try that firebug thing. sounds interesting since i'm totally a newbie to this. thanks for the quick reply!