Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How can I monetize my site?

PremiumMember
cristianf
Trust:

How can I monetize my site?

Hi folks,

It looks like I'm in a rut and could use a little input on what I'm doing with a website I'm putting together.

I'd rather not state the actual name of my website here, but it's at 69.162.104.186 (dedicated ip)

I'm putting loads of effort into developing really good content that actually helps people, and I think that part of the plan
is coming along fine so far. Beyond that, though, I don't really have a good direction when it comes to monetizing the site.
All I've thought of to do is put a bunch of adsense ads on each page. Not very creative, I know.

As you can see, my site has no real centralized 'theme' that I can center the whole thing around. As a matter of fact, I think each page is sort of its own mini micro-niche article that has little to do with any other pages.

I decided to put this website together because like lots of other people, I really enjoy selling stuff on eBay to make extra money. So I figured that since I love doing this stuff, and since I've already put countless hours into researching it all, why not just put it all on a website so other people can benefit from it? Heck, how many millions of people could use a down-
to-earth way of making some extra money nowadays?

Anyway, if you check out the GALLERY area of my site (where everything of any value is at this point,) you'll find a
(growing) list of links, each one leading to a page where I discuss a particular item. Please note that the links on the Gallery page with the '-' in front of them are entries that are mostly finished, but are not online yet.

I guess I should mention that I put together most of this material - both photos and text - before I had the idea to put them
together with adsense. That's why you'll see some Gallery entries with little or no monetization potential, like the "Vintage
Hewlett Packard calculator." A fantastic item to keep your eyes peeled for at yard sales, but unlikely to ever attract any relevant ads.

I guess what I'm looking for are some opinions about my site so far, and in which direction I should take it. Any comments, tips, suggestions or anything else would really be appreciated!

Cris
jasondodd
Trust:
Hi Cris

I had a look at your site and I think youve done a good job of creating your site and filling it with content esp content rich in long tail keywords that should attract targeted traffic.

As far as monetizing it i see the pages are pretty heavy with adsense - hows this working out for you? you need lots of traffic to make decent money from adsense and even then its best to have the banners at the bottom of the page or in the middle of an article (look up banner blindness).

something you could try is a technique used by http://www.buy-here-and-save.com/ using an Amazon datafeed, maybe see if you can do something similar with Ebay?

also, for seo purposes, if you have lots of different themes on your site, look into siloing.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

PremiumMember
cristianf
Trust:
Hi Jason, thanks for the reply.

I haven't done anything at all yet to advertise the site. No backlinks, no articles, nothing. So I get about 25 or 30 page views a day and 1 or 2 clicks. I've heard about banner blindness, and I may do some experimenting with changing of the ads.

That part about siloing is really interesting, too, thanks for that.

What's really funny to mention is that although my actual pages aren't showing up anywhere on google yet, some of my photos are on positions number one or two on Google images:

Makita 5402na beam saw
Hennessy Expedition hammock
vintage lucite rocking chair
ultralight airplane seat
k2 evo downhill bicycle

Long tail terms, but they're direct hits on the google images page. There may be many more of these high-ranking photos to come along soon, but I think these are the only photos of mine that Google has indexed so far. Now all I have to do is find out how I can use this advantageous position to my advantage!

Cris

This topic was started on Sep 16, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.