Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Using robots.txt disallow to protect affiliate redirects

PremiumMember
paradigmau
Trust:

Using robots.txt disallow to protect affiliate redirects

Hi all,

I have all of my affiliate redirects stored in a folder i.e. siteroot/redirects/affiliatelink

Rather than nofollow every affiliate link on my site I just disallow the redirects folder in my robots.txt.

Firstly am I right in assuming this will have the same effect as noindex nofollow on my individual affiliate links?
Secondly is there any chance of Google regarding this as a form of cloaking and penalising me accordingly?

Is anyone using a similar system and have you encountered any problems with Google doing it this way?

Thanks.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

wollowra
Trust:
Hi,
I Do know that by disallowing a robots.txt file that a competitor can see all the affiliate links you are using.
Cloaking is showing Google one thing and the user another thing.
So I don't see what you are doing as cloaking. Maybe ask the Google forums.

Here is some info on Robots.txt but this is standard stuff.
http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Dec 26, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.