Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Question dead link on google page one?

howred
Trust:

Question dead link on google page one?

Hi my name is howard, I apologize in advance if I used the wrong section of the forum, wasn't too sure where this fit exactly.

Ok so i was conducting research for my website the other day and looking at who else was selling the same product. I also noticed one of my competitors selling the product, on the first page of google. I clicked on his link (2year old link) and it was dead. i'm wondering how does someone with a dead link (the page read account no longer exists) stay on the front page of google as he was number 4 on the page. I'm sorry but i don't understand this or is google just slow?
(all i used for keywords was the product name in my search)

Can anyone shed some light on this.
One other question if you see a dead link, should you take the same keywords the dead link used to get to google page 1? is this a opportunity staring me in the face, or is it bad to do this?

I thank you for reading my question and i hope there is a comment or 2 that will either tell me i'm silly or serious. I am new to all of this and been learning a lot of information, But I am very very grateful to such a valuable resource as this forum. Thank you mark ling for giving this to all of us.

Howard# (aka howred)
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
howred wrote: Ok so i was conducting research for my website the other day and looking at who else was selling the same product. I also noticed one of my competitors selling the product, on the first page of google. I clicked on his link (2year old link) and it was dead. i'm wondering how does someone with a dead link (the page read account no longer exists) stay on the front page of google as he was number 4 on the page. I'm sorry but i don't understand this or is google just slow?
(all i used for keywords was the product name in my search)

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Can I ask what keywords you used and can you also give me the website so that I could also check the site's ranking? I want to also check the domain name in whois to verify if its registration has already expired.

It's possible that the account has just been deactivated so the google bots have not crawled on the site yet.

howred wrote: One other question if you see a dead link, should you take the same keywords the dead link used to get to google page 1? is this a opportunity staring me in the face, or is it bad to do this?

It's not really possible to check the specific keywords that a site has unless you type in the keyword phrase in Traffic Travis and it shows up as one of the top sites. We do recommend including the product/author name as keywords because these convert well to sales.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

This topic was started on Dec 30, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.