Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Keyword Density

cchhita
Trust:

Keyword Density

Hi Everyone,
I just had a question about Keyword Density.

I am trying to optimise one of my sites using SEO only to get its rankings up.
I have run traffic travis, and found that one of my main keywords is used 12% on the site. It is used 9 times in the body of the text, but 11 times in teh meta tags!! I am guessing this is obviously far too many times in the meta tags.

I just want to know what density percentage or ratio is good to have for each keyword/phrase, and also the proper way, or the number of times it should be used in the Meta tags and Title etc.

I just dont want an overkill of keywords in the wrong places!

Cheers
Chirag
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Keyword density is long gone.... those were days of the 90s.... if you write solid content about your topic and use your main word a few times throughout the text, you will be just fine..... lose the 11 keywords in the meta tag too.... there is no way you can optimize one page for 11 top rankings.. (as Google sees it)

You only need to go after 2 - 4 words per page.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yep, like Adrian said, just make your page look natural and you'll be fine.

While on page factors will help a little (And are a must in my opinion) it's links that will have the greatest effect on your rankings. So put most of your effort into that.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

wak1970
Trust:
The absolute best place for your keyword is the Title tag.
cchhita
Trust:
Awesome!
Thanks guys. That helps lots, and points me in the right direction.

Will let you know how I go with building my site!

Cheers
Chirag
wak1970
Trust:
Something that I forgot to mention is that there have been many reports recently of Google providing an extra boost in search rankings if the key phrase is repeated twice in the Title tag.

for example for 'weight loss':

Weight Loss Tips: Become a weight loss expert today!

As long as the title is natural, there is no reason for Google to apply penalties, though they may decide to remove the extra boost at some point.

This was reported by article writers who are very competetive on their SEO!

WAK.
PremiumMember
jello5
Trust:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check-in to see if Keyword Density is still no longer a concern. I am in the process of optimizing a website where Traffic Travis is showing a Phrase Occurrence over 4%!

Is that something to be of concern about?

Eddie Lopez