Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

I Need Help! My Site Went Down 500+ Is This An Algo Update?

juderm
Trust:

I Need Help! My Site Went Down 500+ Is This An Algo Update?

I have a site and it is about a year and half year old already. It survived the Penguin and Panda updates. It's been in the page #1 in Google position #4 for about a year or so already but in the last 3 weeks it went down to 500+ for a couple of days and it went up slowly again within 3 weeks until it reached page #3 and not until this day it went down again to 500+. I do not know what is going on.

I did not do any drastic change in my site. I do not practice any black hat stuff in SEO. I am doing everything in white hat SEO and natural organic way.

Lately I read an article that says that Google released a new algorithm update called Hummingbird. I do not know if this has something to do with my site's experience. If this is so, is this drop temporary?

Do you have the same experience? If you know what is going on I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much to your help!

Thanks a lot! ~ Jude
info209
Trust:
Hi Jude,

My site suffered a similar fate, I had been slowly link building with blog comments on relevant sites and slowly crawling up the rankings, at best page one Number 5. Like you I have never "blackhatted" , bought links and always tried to SEO properly. On 23rd August I plummetted out of sight, reappearing at #15 and been there ever since.

Google claim that these updates are to improve search quality, but looking at the top 10 now , there are 3 of the thinnest content, obvious affiliate sites ranking, which seems to go against everything that is advised. One site is so bad I recon I could build a better one from scratch in 15 minutes. I would laugh if it wasn't so painful!

I did find some advice and information and have formulated a plan to attempt my return to the top 10, but I see an easy route, much of what is required is going to take a long time, especially if like me you are working alone and part time. Here is some of the info that seems to point the right way:
Duncan Carver " Ultimate Link Building" ebook
Eric Lancheres " Panda Breakthrough" on Matt Carters Blog
Bruce Clay "Silo Sites" http://www.bruceclay.com/eu/seo/silo.htm
Including more video into your posts ... http://moz.com/search-ranking-factors/survey
Best of Luck

Andrew

This topic was started on Oct 08, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.