Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Does duplicate content penalty apply to directories&comments

burkhardt5
Trust:

Does duplicate content penalty apply to directories&comments

Iv'e been working on submitting my site to site directories and it seemed to be working well. I made it up to page 2 on google and bing for a good search phrase. I had x amount of backlinks from 47 different .com sites and then in one day it droped to x amount from 35 .com sites, then the next day x amount from 24 .com sites. I used the same description for these sites and when I went to the sites, my link was still there. Do I have to spin a site description for each directory submission or is there something strange going on. My description was only 3 sentences long, should I make it longer and spin it?
One last question, I have found some PR 2,3,4,5 and even 6 directory sites that seem quite good. I know Mark says that you should not have to pay for backlinks but if a PR 5 site wants $5 USD for a lifetime link is that a good deal or should you never pay.

All the best
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

faradina
Trust:
Yes, "duplicate content penalty" does apply to directories and comments, too.

Duplicate content as described by google are "substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar." While most may not be deceptive in origin, there are cases where "content is deliberately duplicated across domains in an attempt to manipulate search engine rankings." If google sees a page that has the intent to deliberately manipulate rankings, it makes appropriate adjustments in the ranking and indexing of the page involved and it does not matter if the content is in directories or comments.

Google says that "buying and selling links is a normal part of the economy of the web when done for advertising purposes" but "buying or selling links that pass PageRank is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact a site's ranking in search results."
burkhardt5
Trust:
Thanks so much.
I have taken my original description for my site and added to it and then spun it and it seems to be working much better.
Best wishes
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

This topic was started on May 17, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.